Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Kune Kune as grazing pigs in large 9 acre field  (Read 2680 times)

jwinston

• Joined Jan 2022
Keeping Kune Kune as grazing pigs in large 9 acre field
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:21:33 pm »
Hello -

I am new to pig keeping and was hoping some more experienced owners could offer some insight.

We have two large fields (9 acres & 5 acres) that are being managed for the improvement of wildflowers, we have a small herd of goats who use them occasionally. I am keen to try out grazing a pair of kune kunes also on the land. However I am aware people usually contain pigs to a smaller area as they wreck the land.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with kune kune / any other breed of pig (tamworth could be an option) kept grazed in a large area?

Thanks in advance !

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Keeping Kune Kune as grazing pigs in large 9 acre field
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 11:40:57 am »
I have had Kune Kune pigs in the past and although they do not root as much as other pigs they would still make mess of a paddock long term. Think it would be difficult to grow wild flowers.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 01:22:17 pm »
I do not have any experience of keeping Kune Kunes although I believe they are the least destructive of all the pig breeds, preferring to mainly graze. Any other breed, particularly prick eared breeds like Tamworths, will dig for England and certainly destroy the meadows. Our last lot of weaners were Berkshires and they went crazy in their digging, mining huge craters underneath very mature trees, more than any other pig breed we've kept.

I guess the best option is fence a smaller area within one of the fields just to see how much they rootle the soil up. That will give you an idea of whether letting them have a larger area is practical or not.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 01:31:45 pm »
They will most likely root in the winter.
I have found when they have a large area in the summer they root much less than if they are grazed tighter or the grass isn't as good. Some individuals root more than others.
I'd recommend keeping their house and water and feed in a small area and electric fence off the rest of the field so you can let them in to a bit, consider grazing them in patches at a time to minimise rooting.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 07:49:21 pm »
I would have thought that if you are managing for wildflowers you do not want to enrich the soil - however pigs are normally used to improve fertility for (usually) vegetable growing after they have been on the land. They would probably also dig ip any tap roots. I wouldn't even try.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 08:28:06 am »
They will most likely root in the winter.
I have found when they have a large area in the summer they root much less than if they are grazed tighter or the grass isn't as good. Some individuals root more than others.
I'd recommend keeping their house and water and feed in a small area and electric fence off the rest of the field so you can let them in to a bit, consider grazing them in patches at a time to minimise rooting.

Agree with the above.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS