Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How clean..  (Read 1835 times)

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
How clean..
« on: November 23, 2010, 11:08:15 am »
...do your pigs have to be before taking to abbatoir?

Is a little dried on mud acceptable or do they have to be spotless? Mine are pretty muddy at the mo, but will have them inside for a couple of days to clean up. Do you think that is long enough? TIA for any replies! :pig: :)
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: How clean..
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:10:43 am »
...do your pigs have to be before taking to abbatoir?

Is a little dried on mud acceptable or do they have to be spotless? Mine are pretty muddy at the mo, but will have them inside for a couple of days to clean up. Do you think that is long enough? TIA for any replies! :pig: :)

we hose ours down after loading into the trailer (for ease), and then give them plenty of dry clean straw afterward. The abattoir have never complained about muddy hooves/lower legs, but they would have a problem with a full coating of mud I suspect - probably due to how it affects their washing system (the bit that scalds the hairs off).

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:56:27 pm »
Same thing here, a lovely long shower with brushing before going into the trailer. I stop at toenail clipping!  :D

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:01 pm »
Ha ha ...was thinking of giving them a wash down!  Think I might wait until they are in the trailer tho! Thats a good tip. Thanks for advice...really does help as I'm a newbie pig addict :) :pig:
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:29:53 pm »
The ones we use will put them in a pen and shower them if they are dirty, but normally they go straight through.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS