Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Colic  (Read 13361 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Colic
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:20:00 pm »
A young friend lost her horse at the weekend with colic. He lived out and with all this wet weather his field was water logged. Over the past couple of years i have tried to give her advice but she does not always take it on board. I cannot stress enough how bad a wet field is for a horse. If they are given hay to eat and are not hungry then the risk is less but a hungry animal will eat soaking wet grass, take in too much dirty water and before you know where you are you have a horse with colic. I always make sure my lot have a feed before going out in the morning, also hay in the field when the weather is bad. I had to move my boys from the stable paddock back onto the hill field as the rain is now running down on top of the grass, not good. I hate the winter but would rather have cold one than all this rain. Frosted grass has its problems but I find the ponies will go to their hay when first turned out.  :horse:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Colic
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 04:26:33 pm »
sabrina, i have had horses for many years and never knew this!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 05:52:27 pm »
makes me glad I live on a well draining hill. Mind you ours got colic from eating snow, so you cant win! Where are those limestone pastures when you need em!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 05:59:37 pm »
mine stay in until they have had there breakfast, this time of year. nasty thing colic, my thoughts are with your friend

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:02:51 pm »
I didn't know this either. We're feeding hay now anyway so fingers crossed that they are OK.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:29:09 pm »
my dad has had horses over 50 yrs  and he never heard of this. my 1st pony i lost in the 90's treated for colic even the best vets in the area never saw it but PM was a lurpendulated tumor sorry i cant spell but its worth keeping an eye out for  colic all year round.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:58:56 am »
I knew they got colic from wet ground but was told it was because they pull the grass up by the roots and take in too much soil like a too sandy or beach grazing horse field. My last horse had a really bad digestive system and was on all sorts of medication for more or less monthly mild colics.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:05:33 pm »
We had a Shetland filly who was prone to colic if the field was water logged, lucky for me I saw she had a problem early on and took her in. It was my vet who explained why it had happened. After 48 years working with horses and ponies I now know you never stop learning and nothing surprises me at what they can get up to. My OH is always saying I am over protective but after my friend losing her horse at the weekend maybe now he will shut up.

waterhouse

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 06:44:39 pm »
We've been feeding hay to the boys in the field 3 times a day for the last 10 days or so because where they are the pasture is finished but our other fields have too much grass.  The 26 yo gets colic when he stuffs his face with good grass.  Hard to know what to do except encourage the sheep to get another paddock ready for them.

The chaps are arriving tomorrow morning to build 4 new big stables, not a minute too soon.  It is astonishing that it took ove nine months to get final planning permission for stables that can't be seen from the road, had the active support of our neighbours and are in keeping with the local plan.  Having granted permission for wooden stables roofed with onduline they reserved approval of the actual materials.  It then took 8 weeks to get the wood approved...

The St Albans planners are the most unhelpful, uncommunicative, process-exploiting bunch of jobs-worths I've ever met, but no doubt others have had worse experiences.  Of course our neighbour is "Mr Smith" who parks trucks on his land without planning permission and without any trouble from the council.

With luck they'll be housed overnight from thursday

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 07:37:06 pm »
Just bringing this old thread up as I was reading it from the 'search' at the top and it makes interesting reading especially with the recent wet weather.

We had to call the vet today as one of our mini shetland ponies was having obvious problems, shaking spasms and having trouble getting up, wanting to sit on her backside all the time - colic was the diagnosis. He says there is no real cure for it, gave her a laxative / pain killer and she's happy in the goat shed now and is eating hay but not interested in anything else.  Have tried to give her bran with live yoghurt but she won't touch it so will try and mix a couple of chopped up squidgy apricots in dry bran tomorrow.

It may be the wet field and the soil eating as this thread suggests.  He said 30% of mild cases die and it can take months for recovery sometimes, so  :fc:  hope she pulls through.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 07:42:47 pm »
Just bringing this old thread up as I was reading it from the 'search' at the top and it makes interesting reading especially with the recent wet weather.

We had to call the vet today as one of our mini shetland ponies was having obvious problems, shaking spasms and having trouble getting up, wanting to sit on her backside all the time - colic was the diagnosis. He says there is no real cure for it, gave her a laxative / pain killer and she's happy in the goat shed now and is eating hay but not interested in anything else.  Have tried to give her bran with live yoghurt but she won't touch it so will try and mix a couple of chopped up squidgy apricots in dry bran tomorrow.

It may be the wet field and the soil eating as this thread suggests.  He said 30% of mild cases die and it can take months for recovery sometimes, so  :fc:  hope she pulls through.

I'm so sorry to read this :-((

You could also try sloppy fast fibre, my colicy chap found that very appetising and it got him eating and getting fluid in again.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 08:13:47 pm »
hope you pony improves Goosepimple, colic is such a worry and has many different causes.

Having done a lot of work in grass sickness and knowing too much about that, horse's guts in general and atypical myopathy I would urge horse owners to always feed supplementary hay (or another form of long fibre such as a hay/straw chaff)-year round, It need only be a small amount but it helps keep things on an even keel.

Sudden changes in temperature can also lead to colic-especially in natives with heavy coats. Just recently we swung between +10 and feeling like -10, sometimes in 48 hours-make sure your ponies are taking enough water-very cold and unseasonably warm weather can mean they aren't getting enough-especially if eating hay/straw.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 08:26:38 pm »
just to add, soil or sand colic does happen-we (very large equine practice in Newmarket) would get maybe one case a year in from a riding school one county up that was on very sandy soil. Although it was astounding how much sand the little fellas would carry before showing symptoms (a testament to how stoic equines can be), I'd say it was fairly uncommon compared to other causes. Its obviously a bigger risk in other parts of the world and its usual there to feed slippery elm as a deterrent (although, fyi, it can interfere with orally taken medications).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:19:18 pm by lord flynn »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 11:21:09 am »
My neighbour is having a hard time, both her horses have had colic twice in the past month. Trouble in my opion is some mornings they do not get seen to until 10am and often left out late at night. they are both show jumpers, fully clipped in a field that is often water logged. Stables are right next to the house so they could be fed early, all she has to do is get out of bed, see to them then go back to bed. Animals like routine and if left hungry get upset. Now that she has vet bills well over a £1000 maybe she will change her ways. I thought I was doing a good thing when I put my mare on shavings to stop her eating her straw bed, she ate them and got colic much to my horror. Never thought she would do this. I ended up giving her a toy in her stable which kept her busy when the weather was bad and I could not get them out.. I also have a small radio which is left on ,also helps. My lot maybe pampered to some but in good health, happy which is all that matters to me. Just because you read a book telling you how to look after them does not mean you have all the answers, horse and ponies do not read. I tell my granddaughter this all the time, no matter how long you work with them you never stop learning so never think you know it all. I can tell by her face she does not believe me but she will learn by her own mistakes. We all do.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 12:50:14 pm »
So right Sabrina, l did the same every winter with my daughters horse and my Shetland Zak.
She loved coming in even though she had a thick coat being a cob, but Zak had to come too in the next stable, both had warm dinner, hay net and radio 2, l would leave the lights on till my bedtime then check them both, kiss goodnight lights out and bed myself happy in the knowledge they were warm and happy.
lts not a crime to love your animals, they give us so much pleasure they deserve it  :love:
lm the same with all my animals :innocent: hubby says l would have them all in the house if he didnt keep an eye on me  :roflanim: l could never lay in bed knowing they were all waiting to be fed they are the first thing l think of when l wake every morning.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS