Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unhappy sheep!  (Read 1075 times)

Vicamott

• Joined Dec 2021
Unhappy sheep!
« on: December 22, 2021, 04:46:42 pm »
Hi all,

We became sheep owners at the end of March this year when our local farmer had a sheep born unable to walk on her bag legs. We managed to rehabilitate her and she has since been living with her sister in our garden until their return into the fields after Christmas.

This morning however I noticed that we hadn't heard either of them bleating for us, and upon investigating we realised Pip, the sister, had become lame in her back leg. Nothing to be too worried about as she's adventurous and tends to beat herself up a bit, recovering fully by the next day. However, keeping an eye on them both closely all day I've realised neither have been moving, standing still in one spot all day with no grazing and no noise. Normally coming bounding when they hear their names they now stand with bowed heads and droopy ears, not even taking the sweet fruits we've waved under their noses.

I've become concerned and will be calling the vet tomorrow when they are back on the farm but I wanted to know if anyone else had come across this issue? I've checked under tails for maggots and their breathing is seemingly normal, the swelling and heat in Pip's foot has recently decreased.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Unhappy sheep!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 09:49:59 pm »
You're right to worry. A ruminant that's awake should be ruminating or eating. The fact they are both doing neither and are  similarly affected would suggest that they have both eaten something that has affected them. Are there any poisonous plants they could have had a go at, as the grass was eaten down? Could someone have fed them something unsuitable, or could they have raided a supply of feed? To tempt them to eat - ivy will usually tempt them. But if they are no better in the morning then definitely call the vet, as planned.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 10:05:09 am »
From your description i would also suspect poisening from something they ate ?  hope you got the vet out yesterday  and all is now well or at least recovering ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 12:05:48 pm »
From your description i would also suspect poisening from something they ate ?  hope you got the vet out yesterday  and all is now well or at least recovering ?
I'd also suspect poisoning. We had a wether eat rhododendron leaves years ago. He survived. The vetsaid there wasn't really anything he could do - survival depended on how much had been eaten in relation to bodyweight. He told us to get activated charcoal, mix it with strong black coffee and dose him with that.
Don't tell the pharmacist it's for a sheep or they won't give it to you. :eyelashes:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 12:07:39 pm »
You can get activated charcoal from the vet, it’s quite widely used in ruminants.

You say one was lame- have they been in a dog attack ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS