Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: All good things come to those who wait AND A BLOODY LONG WAIT!!  (Read 3334 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
All good things come to those who wait AND A BLOODY LONG WAIT!!
« on: December 15, 2021, 07:23:43 am »
Introducing Feisty Fi Fi!

Knickers, she who last calved Jan 2020 and refuses to hold to AI, had nooky with a lovely Angus bull 27th Feb! After a 285 day pregnancy, the last week of which you could tell by her eyes, she was getting fed up, out slithered Fi Fi. Big bag, hungry calf, leg slightly lifts up, calf become Feisty Fi Fi!

Needless to say, Feisty Fi Fi has NO intention of going hungry!

So, with Mary bulled around 14 days later, we thought we would have a weeks rest.

I found Mary, washing a big bull, Fabulous Freddie, in mud and rain at 276 days. She had no intention of going any longer. Call to a nephew, pitch black, wheel barrow etc, nice bright shed, up and sucking half an hour later!

He was born Monday so shoved him and Mary Moo out in the sun yesterday. We were surprised how both calves have similar face markings. Am hoping he stays on the black side.

Fi Fi is the lone calf and blurred one getting a wash! I thought at 5 day old she'd learnt the word bed! 5 minutes I chased her around a small field yesterday whilst her mum was stuffing inside!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 07:27:15 am by PipKelpy »
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: All good things come to those who wait AND A BLOODY LONG WAIT!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 05:48:25 pm »
Lovely! (and I am jealous, as I cannot have any cattle here...)

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 06:44:34 pm »
Gorgeous! And like Anke - we (well especially my OH) would like cattle but sadly not enough good grass here.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 06:13:57 pm »
Than you both.

Took a deep breath and put them all together on Thursday. I stood, waiting to shout. This morning, Knickers and Mary were eating out of the cratch at the same time. For the previous 2 days, very much "my turf!" off Knickers as Mary had been put on back field to bond and Knickers on the front.

Wow, little calves can run! Even Freddie has turned into Usain Bolt. 6 strands of electric wire, fencer on double power! Both nudged it first time, but when they decided to test it the second time, blarts!

Could do with them meeting the sheep but some currently look like beached whales and my 2 Shetland X DD are due to lamb 10/11 Jan, so they don't need too much excitement at the moment.

Finally, where has the time gone? I sung Happy Birthday to Effy this morning. Born a year ago, Mary's first calf that came out looking Hereford'ish. Not sure yet what doing with her, mum says eat, I don't know, got plenty of fodder this year so feeding a hairball won't make that much difference at the moment......... But we all know how things can change!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 08:23:07 am »
I'm intrigued by the name "Knickers".
Do you shout it across the field to call her in?

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 04:51:28 pm »
Yes!

Though at moment she waits to come in. Most times, I don't need to call, it's a walk up and put headcollar on!

No offence to Veronicas, but its too severe a name for a calf. She came with it. Ronnie and Vonnie were out as I had a Bonnie so I thought Ver-ron-nick-ker, you know, break it down, KNICKERS! She's a big cow, not a dainty thing but it suits her.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 06:12:37 pm »
 :) :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS