Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: After The Storm.  (Read 2766 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
After The Storm.
« on: November 30, 2021, 11:53:00 am »
Fridays storm event has to be the worse thing i have lived through. We lost 35 ft of our stone barn that housed our 5 block built stables. The roof is lying in the back garden and the gable end is in the stable that 10 mins before it all happend Dora was in. We went out as Gordon had been watching the CCTV and saw that the roof was moving. I Dora out. The 3 ponies are now on the hill with the field shelter which will have to do for this winter. We are lucky to be alive.  The rest of the building is still standing but very unsafe. Shock kicked in yesterday and I was in tears seeing how close we came to being killed. Dora would have been buried. The power was off from Friday back on last night. We went out to get a phone signal to let family know we were OK. Had a hot meal which was bliss. Luckywe had bottled water but no means to make a hot dring. although we did have a small gass burner it ran out of gas on the Friday evening while heating water for tea. The spare canaster was the wrong size. Now we have to wait for the unsurance company to come out but i have a feeling they will just say old building and not pay out.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: After The Storm.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 12:20:26 pm »
Oh Sabrina, what a terrible time.  You think stone built is there forever.  What an awful shock.  But as you say, you and your animals are safe and alive - buildings can be rebuilt.  I hope the insurance company pays up.  Someone here can hopefully give advice on how to make sure they do.  :hug: :hug:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:49:06 pm »
If they don't, set up a crowdfunding page with before and after photos, plus photos of the animals, and you'll probably get enough to rebuild

Good luck
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 06:13:19 pm »
Here in the Lakes there are literally hundreds of trees down. It is like a torpedo went through. The two acre field/wood some of my sheep are in is practically flattened. Thirty so trees down. Across the road a few branches. Several trees across roads in every direction, locals brilliant at clearing a way through. Power off until late last night. Mobile phone masts off until Sunday evening. People couldn't contact each other unless they had a BT line and the old plug in phone.

Electric guys working their socks off but still people who are likely to be off for a couple more days yet. Communication from electricity supplier really awful. Usual go to web site message. 99% of people couldn't access it and when you could the info was pretty poor.

Community spirit brilliant!!!!!!

A big lesson in being electric dependent! And also BT need to rethink phasing out the old phone lines too.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 07:59:23 pm »
Shock kicked in yesterday and I was in tears seeing how close we came to being killed.

Hello, it's the shock part that "gets you." When we had our fire, I phoned 999, yelled mum, got dogs out of house, stayed calm etc. Even when I had a set to with the fire inspector (he didn't believe the chest freezer was less than 3 years old, I showed him the receipt) and could have throttled him when he said ALL the plugs were overloaded (they werent, one of his firefighters worked for the electrician who did all our work, he recognised it). 

I actually burst into tears a few hours later, when busting for the loo, went into the bathroom and saw the heat had cracked the double glazing. It hit me how close we were. If I had gone to bed that night it could have been worse. Instead I was sleeping downstairs watching the monitors waiting for sheep to lamb (from day 140, I'm mad!)

Even now, 5 years later I feel the after effects, but that's me. The fire was also responsible for Flo flipping! (Neurologist did say it could have triggered her epilepsy).

Shock, they say, can kill. You worry and wherrit, about yourself, your animals. I know, I'm the same.

We were lucky with the storm, we lost tiles off the shippon, have managed to get them repaired, had to lop some trees (I would rather do that than lose the fences as some were leaning.....) However, I did notice that I spent most of Saturday feeding Haylage. so i think sheep and cattle didn't eat much that night! We had the neighbours trampoline, it wasn't a small one either, it flew 2 fields worth and ended up with Effy.

I am insured with the NFU and in the past they have been very good. However, most companies, as long as the buildings are in good nick, do cover storms, i would have thought.

I can imagine what you're feeling as it's scary. I CAN laugh about the clobber we lost (home grown beef!! Lots of butter, 72 litres uht milk, Sugarpuffs that explode with heat apparently, took me a while to figure out what the lumps were), BUT I can't forget.

But you're alive, your animals are alive, the rest is just stuff, it doesn't matter, YOU'RE alive.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 11:50:29 am »
I hope you manage to get the building back up and running - how much damage is done? 
I was told by the FUW that they dont even send out and inspector if the claim is less than 5 grand - you just have to name the storm.  However - 35ft of stone wall and a roof is going to be far more than than I would have thought.

Did you get the 'assessor' out when you purchased your policy?
Always get the insurance assessor to come out and make the initial judgement on your policy - insurance is through the roof - they will come out and look over your properties before insuring if you ask them to make sure the cover is adequate and fit for purpose.

Hugs go out to anyone effected by the storm - we didnt really get hit with a north wind - its only when it goes north east east we get it to the front - the buildings dont like it from the front.

I remember a few years ago hanging onto a roof with a strong westerly (dominant direction) - i didnt have my phone or any string or rope - it was only my hanging on that kept the roof down - hanging there for 2 hours before my misses came to save me after doing the 'rounds' and phone a friend and get some ropes and bricks.

Big wind is frightening - it sure makes you think when you house is 'rocking' even with 3 foot thick walls made of rocks

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 05:56:07 pm »
I can't see them paying out. even said on the phone it was not that windy. 120 was recorded or so I am told for our area  on the Friday evening. So far no one has been out. The front of the building still has its roof on but not sure how safe it is.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS