Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: farrowing gilt  (Read 2725 times)

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
farrowing gilt
« on: November 24, 2021, 07:49:30 pm »
while we had a gilt farrow had two then  nothing left her for a couple of hours, so rang vet  sorted out fo them to come out put put phone down to see her pop another out so rang and canceled vet ,she then had another 6 at 45 minute intervals ,how long do you leave it before ringing vet ,also the piglets won't use the creep /heat lamp all pig lets ive had before have gone straight under  heat lamp

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: farrowing gilt
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 10:06:51 pm »
You can never tell how long a farrowing will take. There can be a long gap between piglets but that was a long time to have those 6. Hopefully all is well now? Sometimes litters go straight under the lamp, sometimes takes a day or more and sometimes they never do. With a long farrowing they start to get fed up waiting to suckle. It is useful sometimes to position the lamp where you can fasten piglets under it with a hay bale for eg to keep them warm or out of the sows way.

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 07:22:16 pm »
yer there all spot on ,she had a died one over 12 hours after the last one ,the piglets are going under the lamp now , we had another gilt farrow late last night had 10 all good n alive,

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 08:10:54 pm »
Ah I was wondering how you got on. Thanks for the update  :love: :love: :love:

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 09:00:20 pm »
was out till 3am this morning , waching her  farrowing better then any tv  , got another 3 to farrow over next 3weeks

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 01:23:47 pm »
Pigs can actually take up to 24 hours to farrow. Obviously that is not the norm but it can take that amount of time
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS