Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are you a tomato lover?  (Read 10199 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Are you a tomato lover?
« on: November 17, 2021, 10:47:27 pm »
If you absolutely love tomatoes and want to grow lots of different varieties have a look at:
www.plant-world-seeds.com

I only wanted their lettuce Waldmans dark green but found pages and pages of every kind of tomato you could ever want to grow!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Are you a tomato lover?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 07:12:35 am »
I do.

I did look at the site but got oddly irked by the random knife, fork or pair of scissors on the pictures.

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 12:27:39 pm »
I do.

I did look at the site but got oddly irked by the random knife, fork or pair of scissors on the pictures.

:roflanim: I think they're supposed to give a sense of scale, but as there's nothing to say if they're big knives or tiny scissors it doesn't hit the spot. It's worth persevering if you want some different tomatoes.  I shall just be growing Sakura and Cocktail Crush this year, both being resistant to blight and able to cope with our weird weather up here, whilst being delicious, but just thought I'd share the seed site.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 07:36:47 pm »
I may have a closer look at the blight resistant ones you mentioned.

Someone gave me a variety called bumble bee this year which I used for seed but they sprouted too soon.

Flavour wise my marmande were good this year and a pink pointy variety that I dont know the origin/name of.

What was your best flavour this year?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 12:20:35 am »
That site doesn't have the ones I mentioned - too mainstream I suppose.
I grew 4 varieties this year: Sakura which I've grown for years.  It does get leaf blight but the fruits go on producing in spite of that; Mountain Magic which gives full sized blight resistant fruit and is tasty; Cocktail Crush which was new for me - very similar to MM but a little tastier and cleaner; Follia which is a plum and again was new to me.  The crop was huge and earlier than plum tomatoes usually are up here, but many of them had blossom end rot, which I've never had before anywhere, and was not on the other varieties.  I shan't grow that again, although the unaffected fruits were excellent for cooking.

Sakura and Cocktail Crush were the tastiest, but I found skins a bit thick this time around, perhaps because of all that heat and drought.  They are up there with the tasty varieties but perhaps not the tastiest available if you don't need blight resistant ones.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 09:37:21 am »
I am somewhat concerned that with that huge variety of seeds they are simply a re-packaging warehouse... I have never heard of them or seen them recommended at any of the websites/facebook groups that I am on (though that is very few...)

I shall find out more... but I have so far always found all I need from the reliable (and definitely homegrown) companies like Realseeds, Tamar, etc.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 01:39:40 pm »
I used to buy all my seeds from the Organic Gardening Catalogue, before it was taken over, but then they started selling mostly seeds sourced from Europe (because they are organic), so I stopped buying, as conditions in much of Europe do not match the ones I have here.  I too love all the small companies which grow their own seeds, such as Beans and Herbs, Real Seeds and Incredible vegetables.  Over the years I have found certain varieties do better here than others so I have to source those where I can, which often means Mr Fothergills or DT Brown.
I found the World Seeds site when I was tracking down a particular lettuce which did well in my particular microclimate, but when I saw all those tomatoes I thought I would share in case it was just what someone else needed.  It looks as if they source many of their seeds from N America.

I have not had success with saving my own seeds because of disease and poor growth - I would rather start the year with healthy seeds, tubers and plants.  We are in a fairly extreme area for growing veg successfully; even down in the valley conditions are better, but I love living up here so I do the best I can in the situation I find.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 01:43:30 pm by Fleecewife »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 07:57:35 pm »
Real Seeds has just published this year's catalogue (online). If anyone is looking through their tomato lists - Urbikany is very prone to early blight and really doesn't like a slightly damp growing space. But I really like (and have grown) Stupice, Moskvich, Galina (yellow), Skykomish, their version of Gardener's Delight. I also really (and I mean really!) liked Trixi, which seems to have vanished this year. All of them are liable to blight, but if you keep up with taking off the leaves as soon as there is any sign, mine did all very well.

Of the sweet peppers Karkulka was disappointing, but Kaibi did well.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 10:39:57 pm »
My tomato seeds for next year have arrived from Lithuania ,Promyk  intended for outdoor cultivation but I will grow them in the poly tunnel as I am further north  and Oxheart , a plum type fruit, and some Amish seeds from this years harvest that have just finished fermentation and drying and are doing a germination test this week.
Just hope the winter is kind on the poly tunnel this year !!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 11:01:39 pm »
My tomato seeds for next year have arrived from Lithuania ,Promyk  .......

Is that still permitted ??!

naturelovingfarmer

• Joined May 2021
  • Ohio River Valley
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 11:50:52 am »
I have grown German Strawberry Tomatoes, Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes, and Abe Lincoln Tomatoes with great success in the Ohio River Valley. I got them from Baker Creek Heirlooms but they ship internationally.
Turn your problem into a solution. Learn new things. Adapt as you go. Plans should be fluid and subject to change. I start planning for things years in advance and by the time I do them they have usually changed radically.

"Fall down 7 times, stand up 8" ~Bodhidharma

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 10:28:16 am »
Real Seeds has just published this year's catalogue (online). If anyone is looking through their tomato lists - Urbikany is very prone to early blight and really doesn't like a slightly damp growing space. But I really like (and have grown) Stupice, Moskvich, Galina (yellow), Skykomish, their version of Gardener's Delight. I also really (and I mean really!) liked Trixi, which seems to have vanished this year. All of them are liable to blight, but if you keep up with taking off the leaves as soon as there is any sign, mine did all very well.

Of the sweet peppers Karkulka was disappointing, but Kaibi did well.

They are my favourite sellers too. Amish paste do well for me and the house tomato was fantastic. Their paprika peppers did well for me too

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 04:53:36 pm »
How about best variety for growing outdoors - anyone?

naturelovingfarmer

• Joined May 2021
  • Ohio River Valley
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 12:29:17 pm »
How about best variety for growing outdoors - anyone?

Mortgage Lifter
Turn your problem into a solution. Learn new things. Adapt as you go. Plans should be fluid and subject to change. I start planning for things years in advance and by the time I do them they have usually changed radically.

"Fall down 7 times, stand up 8" ~Bodhidharma

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 01:25:20 pm »
The only tomato I've ever grown outdoors was Gardener's Delight but that was 900 feet lower than here and more than 1/4 of a century ago.  They grew extremely well - I had kept the plants indoors for too long so had to dig a trench and lay the plants, stems overlapping, horizontally in the trench, tops poking up along the way.  I ended up with a wall of tomatoes which were wonderfully productive, having sent up side shoots everywhere  :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:  Very tasty grown outdoors - better than indoor crops any day  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS