Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dagging  (Read 5469 times)

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
Dagging
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:42 pm »
Is there any kind soul not too far from me here near Burnham On Crouch that could maybe pop round and do my 2 pet lambs for me,  I am more than willing to pay for your time petrol etc and your price paid. 

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Dagging
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:17:44 am »
I hope you can find someone, I am no-where near I am afraid.

Have you tried using a sharp pair of scissors, they are much easier to hold than dagging shears.  I've used them before when I've lost my (seventymillionth pair of dagging shears) in a hedge or boot of a vehicle.  I know its the same sort of action but with a sharp set and if they are not too bad they do work well and are easier on the hand.

I'm sure someone will come help you hold them down and give them a good backwards haircut. :) - but dont worry too much unless its real bad or they look discomforted, sheep can live with reasonably messy bums.

Ta

Baz

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:22:40 am by bazzais »

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:26:08 am »
Hi thanks for the tips, but I don't believe you have lost seventy millionth pair of sheerd.   ;D
But seriously I can not hold them that is my problem really although the actual
snipping scares me to death too, I am just hoping some one can help as I am sure with an experienced snipper
they could so it quickly and less stressful to the lambs than me fumbling about with them. I am worried that the flys will get to them when they are dirty rear ended. Thanks for your reply and maybe someone will see this and offer the help . . .   Reb 

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:32:44 am »
Hi thanks for the tips, but I don't believe you have lost seventy millionth pair of sheerd.   ;D
snipping scares me to death too, I am just hoping some one can help as I am sure with an experienced snipper
they could so it quickly and less stressful to the lambs than me fumbling about with them. I am worried that the flys will get to them when they are dirty rear ended. Thanks for your reply and maybe someone will see this and offer the help . . .   Reb 

you haven't really got to worry too much about fly infestations at this time of year.... It's more about 3 things as I see it:

1) stopping the problem getting any worse (dags will just continue to build up)
2) the general hygene of the animals - which contributes in a small way to general good health
3) ease of access to the "glory hole" for the ram ;)

I'd gladly help if I was 100 miles closer... sorry, leicestershire is a bit too far to travel from.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »
as im working now im all over the place so if i get any time  to let you know if im in the area il pop in and help quickly its only a 5 min job but i wont know where im going untill the  night before so if i can help any way ii will

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:52:12 pm »

you haven't really got to worry too much about fly infestations at this time of year.... It's more about 3 things as I see it:

1) stopping the problem getting any worse (dags will just continue to build up)
2) the general hygene of the animals - which contributes in a small way to general good health
3) ease of access to the "glory hole" for the ram ;)

I'd gladly help if I was 100 miles closer... sorry, leicestershire is a bit too far to travel from.

Thank you and I will bear these things inmind.

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:54 pm »
as im working now im all over the place so if i get any time  to let you know if im in the area il pop in and help quickly its only a 5 min job but i wont know where im going untill the  night before so if i can help any way ii will

That is great and maybe better if i can give you a phone number as I am not on here some nights, I just thought they would be more comfy when they are cleaned up and they are pets. You could maybe give me a ring the evening before that would be really great.   01621 773690 I am in every evening after 5pm thank you very much.

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »
PS

I thought I had better mention there is no electric supply where the lambs are and I do not have any power shears at all, but I do have the scissor type pointed type of shears . . .

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:46:47 pm »
I always had a problem if I had to dag any of the sheep, or look at their teats etc. as I often had no help

This is what I did - drive them into some sort of pen, and in the the corner of the pen, and about a bit more than a sheeps length from the corner tie a piece of baler twine to the gate in which you have made a loop (which cannot slip AT ALL)  and the loop made large enough to fit over the sheeps head reasonably easily but not too loose

Manoeuvre the sheep to the chosen corner slip the loop over her head, and keep her back end towards the corner with you leaning on her side against the gate. 

Doing it this way the sheep will try to run out from the corner and the loop will stop her going forward and you stop her going sideways plus the corner stops her going back and slipping her head out.  Giving you the opportunity to do what needs to be done. 

If you need to do the other side you need another loop in the opposite corner.

Its a useful trick if you need to do something and you are on your own, and not strong enough or fit enough to turn it over

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:35:30 pm »
Thats a really good tip, cheers for that, Over the next couple of weekends, I will be sorting out some hurdles and a shelter I will definately incorporate that.

cheers
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 02:17:17 pm »
This is a helpful tip and easier than trying to hold them so I will be looking for some hurdles too thankx for the tip

Reb . . .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS