Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home mixed feed  (Read 7877 times)

littlelisa

• Joined Mar 2010
home mixed feed
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:42:22 pm »
please can someone point me in the right direction for finding out the rules and regs for mixing your own feed??? thanks

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: home mixed feed
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32:02 pm »
Probably first the rules about GM stuff and no kitchen waste, then trawling the internet about quantities etc. I downloaded a document some time ago about the maximum % of wheat, barley etc that pigs can be fed, I'll try and find it for you.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:13:11 am »
Eve if you do find it could you post it here or the link, would love to read it too.

littlelisa

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:39:26 am »
do you have to be regd with someone to mix your own feed. i know people have said that on here but i cant seem to find any information???

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:14 am »
AFAIK, it's perfectly legal to be mixing your own dried feed for pigs, made from barley, wheat, oats, whatever... What you sadly can't do any more if use kitchen waste (not even veg) to feed to them, if they're being sold for meat. The theory being that no-one could be 100% sure that a bit of chicken gravy didn't get on your waste cabbage. I suspect there's no way left over bisto is going to start a F&M epidemic.. but you know defra ;)

You are able to feed pigs on some commercial wastes (biscuits, dough, etc) but you have to be registered as a 'waste handler' and obtain a licence.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:16:39 am »
You will come under EU Feed Hygiene Regulation 183/2005 which came into force in England & Wales in 2008 (and Scotland will have their version).

The regulations apply to both producers of Animal feed and to any “business that uses animal feed” in “the production of food for Human consumption”  - so most of the people reading this forum who sell meat even to family & friends come under this!

There are some exceptions to the requirements

•   the feeding of food-producing animals kept for private domestic consumption
•   the feeding of animals not kept for food production
•   the production of feed in some circumstances (if you are producing your own feed you should refer directly to the rules to see if you are exempt)

To comply you need to
A)   Comply with the regulations
and
B)   Either complete a certificate to say you comply, or
C)   Be in an Official Scheme (the Single Payment Scheme, or being a member of a environmental stewardship scheme qualify – see annex 4 of the red tractor scheme below for details of qualifying schemes)

The EU regulation lists the rules.  However the current “Industry Code of Practice on Farm Feeding” covers all the requirements and is much more readable. It can be downloaded from
http://www.redtractor.org.uk/feedcop
The certificate can be downlaoded from

www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/article18farmersguide.pdf

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:19:56 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:29:19 am »
Mixing your own feed for pigs is a bit like making your own diesel. You can do it, but it's very, very hard. That is unless you are a nutritionist. If you are a breeder, it is in your interests to ensure that your animals get exactly what they require from their feed. If you don't they can loose condition and form.

We used to make our own feed, but it was time consuming and laborious. We now feed an organic ration that we import from the UK. We pad it out a little with bruised fruit and veg from the market.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:40:16 am »
You will come under EU Feed Hygiene Regulation 183/2005 which came into force in England & Wales in 2008 (and Scotland will have their version).

The regulations apply to both producers of Animal feed and to any “business that uses animal feed” in “the production of food for Human consumption”  - so most of the people reading this forum who sell meat even to family & friends come under this!

There are some exceptions to the requirements

•   the feeding of food-producing animals kept for private domestic consumption
•   the feeding of animals not kept for food production
•   the production of feed in some circumstances (if you are producing your own feed you should refer directly to the rules to see if you are exempt)

To comply you need to
A)   Comply with the regulations
and
B)   Either complete a certificate to say you comply, or
C)   Be in an Official Scheme (the Single Payment Scheme, or being a member of a environmental stewardship scheme qualify – see annex 4 of the red tractor scheme below for details of qualifying schemes)

The EU regulation lists the rules.  However the current “Industry Code of Practice on Farm Feeding” covers all the requirements and is much more readable. It can be downloaded from
http://www.redtractor.org.uk/feedcop
The certificate can be downlaoded from

www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/article18farmersguide.pdf

apologies, It appears things have changed...

neck wound in :)

I agree with sausageandcash though - it does seem a lot of bother when you can buy feed which has had a bit of R & D put into it.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »
I was interested in mixing my own pig feed from a cost saving perspective but I guess you need to have a lot of pigs and buy in huge quantities to make it worthwhile. What good feeds are folks using? I'm just using countrywide sow breeder nuts right now as the girls are in pig and that's what was recommended but would like to ensure when the piglets arrive they get a really good feed and we get really tasty pork!

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 03:15:29 pm »
I was interested in mixing my own pig feed from a cost saving perspective but I guess you need to have a lot of pigs and buy in huge quantities to make it worthwhile. What good feeds are folks using? I'm just using countrywide sow breeder nuts right now as the girls are in pig and that's what was recommended but would like to ensure when the piglets arrive they get a really good feed and we get really tasty pork!

we fatten the rare breed weaner on farmgate's sow & weaner pellets all through to finish. We find that stops them going too fatty. do you know SLB feed supplies near bagworth? might be cheaper for you than the highwaymen ;)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »
Yes I used to keep my horse in nailstone and got my horse feed at SLB. I'll pop over Sat morning and see what they have. Cheers.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 03:23:39 pm »
Yes I used to keep my horse in nailstone and got my horse feed at SLB. I'll pop over Sat morning and see what they have. Cheers.

It's just gone up to £6.15 per bag for all pig feed - which is a bit bizzare, but being as we've only got a couple of weeks left, we haven't bothered questioning it... they do do discounts for a pallet load though.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 05:31:38 pm »
apologies, It appears things have changed...

Not significantly, as you stated you can mix legally, just need to register and comply with the standards. as others have said it is quite a faff though !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 07:46:49 pm »

I was feeding farmgate finnisher and it was costing £8 for a 20kg bag, it went up by £1.50 a bag which was a bugger as I had already priced my pigs.
Anne

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 07:58:45 am »
6.15 sounds reasonable have been paying 6.99 so will definately go on Sat. Cheers re abbatoir also had seen that one on Oaklandpigs list of recommended so planned to give them a call good to know they're recommended and close.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS