Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new shaving horse  (Read 2903 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
new shaving horse
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:31:08 pm »
I have been making a new shaving horse for some time now . It is only a rough effort made from a spruce tree for the body and some hazel for the other parts . I used these woods , as that was what I had , the spruce fell down across the track and had to be moved and the hazel was what it fell on  !!!
 My old shaving horse had rotted away years ago , and I needed a new one to do some work on shingles I will be making from the spruce that fell  .
 I have just got the 3 cross pieces of the frame left to make now . These won't take long to make , but they will get done between other jobs. 
I haven't got any pics of the shaving horse at the moment , but the link will show what it is  to  anyone who doesn't know .
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/pdf/plsh.pdf
 I just need to get my old pole lathe down the land now , and I can then get some 'stuff' made at long last ( about time !!).
 I actually used the draw knife I made , to do a lot of the work on the horse , after cutting the 5 ft log in half lengthways, and then working it down with the adze  . I had to cut the log in half, as opposed to splitting it , as there were too many knots in it to split  , I did try !!!
 The adze hued the log down nicely to size , and the draw knife cleaned it up . Still a lot more to do in that area , but it all gets done slowly . The hazel was 3" dia stuff appx. , and cleaved easily with the froe  .
The draw knife I made out of an old lump of 4x4 leaf spring , and it works very well . I need to make a bigger froe now out of the same stuff , but before I can , I need to get my forge ,( an old trolley BBQ ),down the land where all the forge tools are ...lol .
  The fallen spruce should also provide most, if not all ,  of the timber to make a new shed for the forge . The shed it is in at the moment is only 10' x 10' and is just too small. I need a shed about 20'x20' . The spruce was about 80' tall , so there is a lot of timber to use , the hazel makes up over a ton of timber too , so plenty of handles for tools etc , and things like the shaving horse ... all for free....

cheers

Russ

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: new shaving horse
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:45:46 pm »
gosh that was very interesting, your very clever. i hope you post a picture once its done

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: new shaving horse
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:27:42 pm »
Nice one Russ. Well done

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS