Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hoping to Move to North Devon!  (Read 1820 times)

Citrine

• Joined Jun 2018
Hoping to Move to North Devon!
« on: October 29, 2021, 08:11:06 am »
Good morning!  :wave:

If all goes to plan with our house purchase, my husband and I will be moving to North Devon in the next couple of months. We’ve had an offer accepted on a bungalow with 8 acres near Holsworthy.

For the last couple of years, I have been training my 2 border collies to work sheep and decided it was time I got my own to practice with.  I’m not going to lie, the dream is the easy part but as we get nearer the reality, I’m having periods of mild panic!! 

The aim is to get about 12 smallish sheep, probably Shetlands, but I don’t intend to breed them / eat them, they’re just going to be kept for my dogs to work.  I also would like to keep chickens and try and grow more veg to become more self sufficient.

I would love to make contact with other smallholders in the area, especially if you need help with sheep so that I get more experience before taking the plunge and buying my own.  :)

Sharon

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hoping to Move to North Devon!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 01:26:38 pm »
Hey Sharon  :wave:

Congratulations on your purchase.

We are just over the border in North Cornwall, and have sheep and a working collie dog.  (And house cows, chickens, ducks, peacocks and a large veg growing area too.)  You are more than welcome to visit and have a look around and a chat - and we will be very happy to rope you in to help with things too, if you would like! 

Drop me a PM when you are ready and we will sort something out :)

Sally x
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Citrine

• Joined Jun 2018
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 02:30:19 pm »
Thank you Sally - I would absolutely love that!  Will drop you a message once we move :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 04:14:32 pm »
Congratulations!
This is maybe a stupid question but don't sheep get used to being worked?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 04:45:09 pm »
Congratulations!

They absolutely do.  It got to the point when I was training Dot as a youngster, where the sheep would run the course as soon as I came through the gate, before I even let the dog off!   :roflanim:

(Yes, there is a conversation there, and I am planning on having it with Sharon when we meet :)  )
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 06:31:10 pm »
Congratulations!

They absolutely do.  It got to the point when I was training Dot as a youngster, where the sheep would run the course as soon as I came through the gate, before I even let the dog off!   :roflanim:

(Yes, there is a conversation there, and I am planning on having it with Sharon when we meet :)  )

...and then the dog meets some new sheep which object to being shoved around and promptly has a nervous breakdown  :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Citrine

• Joined Jun 2018
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 04:38:41 pm »
Congratulations!

Yes, they can get over dogged due to working so much.  Fortunately the flock I work with rotate regularly and new stock is introduced when the really dogged sheep go on to live in pet homes.

It's going to be something I need to think about - I thought about buying young sheep in and working them for a while before selling on for meat and buying new ones. That said, as a vegan, I don't know whether the increased exercise they will be doing will increase muscle to the point it will affect the taste of the meat. It's something that definitely needs consideration!

Citrine

• Joined Jun 2018
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 04:44:27 pm »

Already considered the potential issues!  I might just need to find a sheep farmer who has a regular turnover and won't mind me hiring a few a couple of times a week!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS