Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from North Devon  (Read 2360 times)

bellan

• Joined Oct 2021
Hello from North Devon
« on: October 25, 2021, 01:11:01 pm »
Hello to everyone

My wife and I have bought a house with 11 acres in North Devon and looking forward to moving in the New Year. 

So glad to have found this forum and looking forward to be able to get lots of advice as we move forward with a plan for breeding pedigree rare breed sheep, keeping a couple of pigs and maybe a couple of Dexter cows, together growing our own fruit and veg.

Andy

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hello from North Devon
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 12:32:57 pm »
Hi Andy  :wave:.  I'm just a bit west of you over the border in North Cornwall.  Congratulations on securing your little bit of heaven :)

11ac of North Devon isn't as much as it sounds...  We have to be quite careful here with just over 14 acres grazing / mowing ground available to a small flock of small sheep (18 adults at present, of which we usually tup around 6), 2 small NDSx house cows, 4 pigs (we buy weaners annually in spring) and a couple of Fell Ponies.  The cows are housed over winter and the ponies are on extremely restricted grazing from April through September.  We have managed to make all our own hay and haylage this year - but it was an exceptionally good year for it.  It is often too dry (or too wet!) so we sometimes can't keep enough ground closed up to make all our own winter forage. 

Anyway, you have all this to fathom out for yourselves in your spot, but I just wanted to inject a modicum of caution before you get too carried away planning all your flocks and herds! 

I know North Devon pretty well (used to be the secretary of North Devon DASH 15 years ago, when I lived in Trentishoe, and I still head to Exmoor for my holidays), so if you want to drop me a PM with a bit more info I will be very happy to chat.  (But don't feel obliged!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 03:55:40 pm »
Hello and welcome from the south of Scotland.  Rare breed sheep and growing your own veggies, fruit and herbs is right up my street.  Any idea which rare breed you fancy or is that yet to research? I love following newbie smallholders as they get to grips with what the new life is all about.  I'm sure I'll meet you again here.  :garden: :hugsheep: :hughen:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bellan

• Joined Oct 2021
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 06:23:29 pm »
Hello and welcome from the south of Scotland.  Rare breed sheep and growing your own veggies, fruit and herbs is right up my street.  Any idea which rare breed you fancy or is that yet to research? I love following newbie smallholders as they get to grips with what the new life is all about.  I'm sure I'll meet you again here.  :garden: :hugsheep: :hughen:

Thanks Fleecewife, we are thinking of Greyface Dartmoor at present but that said we have changed our minds on numerous occasions, so who knows at this point.  :)

Andy

bellan

• Joined Oct 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 06:27:55 pm »
Hi Andy  :wave:.  I'm just a bit west of you over the border in North Cornwall.  Congratulations on securing your little bit of heaven :)

11ac of North Devon isn't as much as it sounds...  We have to be quite careful here with just over 14 acres grazing / mowing ground available to a small flock of small sheep (18 adults at present, of which we usually tup around 6), 2 small NDSx house cows, 4 pigs (we buy weaners annually in spring) and a couple of Fell Ponies.  The cows are housed over winter and the ponies are on extremely restricted grazing from April through September.  We have managed to make all our own hay and haylage this year - but it was an exceptionally good year for it.  It is often too dry (or too wet!) so we sometimes can't keep enough ground closed up to make all our own winter forage. 

Anyway, you have all this to fathom out for yourselves in your spot, but I just wanted to inject a modicum of caution before you get too carried away planning all your flocks and herds! 

I know North Devon pretty well (used to be the secretary of North Devon DASH 15 years ago, when I lived in Trentishoe, and I still head to Exmoor for my holidays), so if you want to drop me a PM with a bit more info I will be very happy to chat.  (But don't feel obliged!)

Thanks Sally, nothing is set in stone yet. Like everyone else starting out, we have lots of ideas but need to get there and get some advice from people like yourself.

Our intention is to progress gradually by introducing livestock over a couple of years.  We have some preparatory work to do once we get there, fencing, water etc.

Andy

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 10:12:37 pm »

Thanks Fleecewife, we are thinking of Greyface Dartmoor at present but that said we have changed our minds on numerous occasions, so who knows at this point.  :)

Andy

I don't know anything about greyface dartmoors but I love their perky faces - so pretty  :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bellan

• Joined Oct 2021
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 10:45:03 pm »

We will be very near to Witheridge, far cry from East Sussex where we currently live.

Andy and Joe

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 10:55:08 pm »

We will be very near to Witheridge, far cry from East Sussex where we currently live.

Ah, more mid Devon than North.  Midway between Exmoor and Dartmoor.  You may well be able to do more with your 11ac than I can with my 14, then ;).   Like Fleecewife, I love to hear newbies' unfolding stories, share in the triumphs and support through the tribulations (usually with lots of empathy as many of us will have been through it!) , and I look forward to hearing more from Witheridge in due course :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Citrine

• Joined Jun 2018
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 08:22:55 am »
Morning!

I'm also hoping to move to North Devon - Milton Damerel which is just outside Holsworthy.

Witheridge is a lovely area, we looked at a small holding there - it had stunning views across Dartmoor.

There area a couple of grey faced Dartmoors in the small flock of sheep my dogs currently work - they are such good fun and real characters! If you go down that route I'm sure you will love them (plus the lambs are ridiculously cute!!)

Fingers crossed your house move goes smoothly!

Sharon

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 04:13:13 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS from a  :raining: and windy Carnoustie.
I noticed your autocorrect changed Shetlands to Dexters in your OP  ;)

bellan

• Joined Oct 2021
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 10:09:55 am »
Hello and welcome to TAS from a  :raining: and windy Carnoustie.
I noticed your autocorrect changed Shetlands to Dexters in your OP  ;)

LOL, actually i have been reading up about Shetlands vs Dexters and if we have cows then I think they may be the way to go.  We'd thought about Dexters on the basis of size really.

bellan

• Joined Oct 2021
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 10:18:37 am »
Morning!

I'm also hoping to move to North Devon - Milton Damerel which is just outside Holsworthy.

Witheridge is a lovely area, we looked at a small holding there - it had stunning views across Dartmoor.

There area a couple of grey faced Dartmoors in the small flock of sheep my dogs currently work - they are such good fun and real characters! If you go down that route I'm sure you will love them (plus the lambs are ridiculously cute!!)

Fingers crossed your house move goes smoothly!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,  I hope your move goes smoothly too.  Good to hear about the grey faced dartmoors. 

I dont know Devon well, but I think you will only be 30 miles from us, so maybe we can meet up once we have both moved.

Andy

Citrine

• Joined Jun 2018
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 04:28:41 pm »
Hi Sharon,  I hope your move goes smoothly too.  Good to hear about the grey faced dartmoors. 

I dont know Devon well, but I think you will only be 30 miles from us, so maybe we can meet up once we have both moved.

Andy

Sounds like a plan!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS