Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from leicestershire - eventually wales..  (Read 4954 times)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Hi from leicestershire - eventually wales..
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:17 am »
Hi All,

Never sure what to write on these into things...

I'm 28, and living with my fiancée in leicestershire. I work in IT 8am - 5pm, but have also worked as assistant/trainee/livestock farm manager for a few months in my time (more of an experiment really).

since 2004 we have kept pigs, sheep, chickens, ducks, and highland cattle... mostly in small numbers, but we did have 100 breeding ewes at our high point in sheep, and rented about 50 acres of land.

At the moment we just fatten 4 weaners up to about 60-70kg, in batches, every 3 months. We've been doing this for a couple of year now, using a neighbours garden, which we rent. The land needs a bit of rest I think, so this may be our last batch of pigs for 12 months. We're thinking of using the land for spuds & chickens next year instead.

The eventual aim is to follow the field-to-farm plan, and buy about 15 acres in south west wales (within 15 miles of chepstow, ideally). Fingers crossed we're no more than 2 years away from this.

well, that's us.... nice to meet you all.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Hi from leicestershire - eventually wales..
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:09:22 am »
Hi and welcome and sounds like you're well on track for your dream.    Well done you guys.    We moved from West Sussex to South West Wales in 2008 and STILL feel like we're on holiday.....even though its very hard work on a smallholding....but we love it.   :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:16:34 am »
hi and welcome from windy wet moray  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:18:17 am »
Hi, I am from Leicestershire but now in Central Scotland and what a difference in traffic, don't miss those ques and lack of parking but miss my Family loads...otherwise, not budgging....we only have chickens for eggs a 4 for Christmas dinner!!! a pair of noisy DUcks and 4 Labradors and we run a B&B.....Your dream WILL become a reality, keep us posted!!  Oh, where abouts in Leicester??? My last home was Woodhouse Eaves!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:41:02 am »
Welcome from wet and cold north Wales - Good luck with everything. :wave:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:54:39 am »
Hello again  ;D ;D ;D  And welcome from Sue in wet and windy Worcestershire :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:34:39 pm »
Hello again  ;D ;D ;D  And welcome from Sue in wet and windy Worcestershire :wave:

Lol... hello again indeed... I had some free time this morning, but clearly not enough to come up with 2 original into posts ;)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:55 pm »
I think it is interesting to join in with various forums as each has its own idividual "flavour" and approach.  Its amazing how much one can learn, and also its nice sometimes being able to offer the benefit of experience to someone else who is struggling.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 10:13:36 pm »
Hello and welcome from Leicestershire! I'm near Ashby de la Zouch where are you based?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:57:43 am »
 :wave:  From Brittany, where the rain has finally arrived and we have mud, mud and more mud.   :D

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 08:10:48 am »
Hello and welcome from Leicestershire! I'm near Ashby de la Zouch where are you based?

fantastic! I'm in bag'th (in the locals speak)... south of coalville.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 08:16:26 am »
I think it is interesting to join in with various forums as each has its own idividual "flavour" and approach.  Its amazing how much one can learn, and also its nice sometimes being able to offer the benefit of experience to someone else who is struggling.

All the best
Sue

Yeah I've been scooching around the net trying to find the 'right' smallholder-ish forums for a while.... I've got my fingers crossed that these 2 fit the bill :) Hopefully I'll have something useful to contribute occasionally too... ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 08:52:29 am »
Hi and welcome from wet and windy Carnoustie  :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 02:57:14 pm »
Eh up farmershort your just up the road from me then. I've found this forum to be brilliant for help and advice. I started with chooks and got loads of tips from here, now moved onto breeding British saddlebacks and most of the help I've had with them has come from here. Look forward to reading about your smallholding. Helen

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 03:12:45 pm »
Eh up farmershort your just up the road from me then. I've found this forum to be brilliant for help and advice. I started with chooks and got loads of tips from here, now moved onto breeding British saddlebacks and most of the help I've had with them has come from here. Look forward to reading about your smallholding. Helen

ah, fantastic!

We've got 4 berkshires at the mo, but they go for kill on the 29th... might be looking to get 4 more of 'something' next feb time... do you sell your weaners?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS