Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MICE!!!!  (Read 2224 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
MICE!!!!
« on: November 17, 2010, 08:10:06 am »
OK, so perhaps I'm stretching the definition of "other livestock" a little, but we have more of these wee guys than anything else at the moment!  ;D.

We've lived in our current house for eight years now, and in all that time, we have never had mice in the kitchen. Shrews yes, and there's even a family of voles who live under the bath (we tend to let them be, as all they've done so far is to nibble our toilet roll supplies), but never mice downstairs.

In the loft however, it's a different matter! The moment the first frost hits us, the local woodmouse population decides our loft is warmer than the adjacent wood (well, it would be - there's no flippin' insulation up there, so we're paying to heat it!), and moves in en masse.

Normally, I just collect them each morning in a humane trap, and drop them off in a layby on the way to work (all good, except last week, when instead of running off, one tried to take refuge in the nearest dark hole he could find: up my trouser leg!  :o).

This morning however, the entrance to the trap has been blocked open with a piece of plaster, and 'somebody' has made themselves a nest inside, from shreds of grey pipe insulation.  I can't tell if this is a very clever mouse, for working out how to diffuse the trap mechanism, or actually a really stupid one, for still being asleep inside the trap when I found him!!

So, Is anybody else having bother this year, and what do you do about it??
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:23:51 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: MICE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:31:02 am »
oh womble i am so sorry about your mouse problem.

But thank you for making me smile this windy and wet morning, your post is so funny.

Mind i might not be laughing as checking the loft is this week ends job and put mouse traps down, also picking to wee kittens up today that hopefully will be very good mice catchers  :cat:

We just put humane traps down

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:08:14 pm »
My son used to prop up a lemonade bottle with a piece of mars bar at the bottom.  Caught a few that way, then he dropped them off at the farm down the road on the way to school. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 05:41:45 pm »
Mice move into our place every winter, and promptly move out again in the spring. Drives the cats potty as they are under the floorboards, but any mouse that dares to venture out...... squeak!

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:23:04 am »
Our moved in in September and it has been a battle ever since. I've caught several, but got fed up with dealing with them and then resorted to bait and still we're having problems.
I bought a sonic and electromagnetic repeller which is as much use as a chocolate teaspoon.

Trouble is our house is weatherboarded so there are a hundred and one place for them to get in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS