Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: large black and tamworth cross  (Read 3494 times)

meddon pigs

• Joined Oct 2010
large black and tamworth cross
« on: November 17, 2010, 02:24:14 am »
hi guys iam trying to find anyone who has ever crossed a large black and tamworth,
one of my large black has just had 5 pigets 4 black and 1 brown with black strips very long, the 4 other blacks are not so long all good and feeding well ,  :- >:(

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: large black and tamworth cross
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:16 am »
Locally there is a LB boar standing at stud, he is often used to cross with tammies.  The results are normally quieter than pure tammie, they can grow to a good size.  Lovely meat.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:57:36 am »
Meddon,

Not sure what info you're after from your post.

If you suspect that one of your LB's is not purebred, then it is perfectly possible to cross any pig with any pig, so yes your LB could look like an LB but actually be a cross.  And of course the boar could have been a cross breed looking like an LB, or the boar could have been any other breed.  If you think this is the case, check back with the breeders.  Crossbreds can easily look like either one of the parents.  I would not expect two LB's to throw anything but a black pig, but maybe LB experts out there know different and it does rarely happen?

We cross tamworth and saddleback, and as HM says they throw a quieter pig than a pure tammy.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:05:14 am »
Sorry I misunderstood.   It does sound as if one of the parents is not pure large black.  My friend's piglets were not striped.  Are your LBs papered?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS