Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Over wintering lambs  (Read 3153 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Re: Over wintering lambs
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 12:53:54 pm »
I like the Mole Valley green energy block. My lambs graze some rougher grass over winter and have always done well with one of these blocks too as there’s a bit of urea in them to help forage digestability. But they are run on for breeding rather than fattening. https://www.moleonline.com/mvf-mole-lyx-extra-energy-elite-block-22-5kg-1059546
Hi I got my block today do I just pop it on the grass iv only ever used the ones in buckets before

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 06:02:42 pm »
Yeah you can do. Or you can get containers for them. It’ll be fine on the ground though.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 03:58:02 pm »
Moving lambs to new feild next week , they is not as much grass as I first thort as some big trees down one side have not let any light in and the grass is thin , but am sure will be fine for a while yet , when the grass gets down shall I just feed hay and some pellets as well as the feed block ? The lamb pellets are £9.80 ish a bag is they  cheeper way to do it ? Thanks and sorry for all questions

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 07:00:46 pm »
The feed block and the pellets together are probably overkill. If grass is short just give them hay to replace, and either pellets or  a block. All feed has gone up recently, blocks will be more expensive too.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2021, 07:08:43 pm »
Arrr ok I will drop the pellets then,  and start hay when the grass is about gone thanks

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 09:12:58 pm »
Iv started giving them a bit of hay now its taken them a week to start eating it
    How much hay should 8 lambs eat ? Should I give them it ad-lib or a flap a day ?am using small bales , thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 01:42:56 am »
Give them what they will clean up that day.  They will eat more if there is a frost or snow, or if the grass is really sodden, and less if it's a sunny day.  You will learn to adjust without thinking ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS