Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs limping  (Read 1948 times)

Pennydunn98

• Joined Oct 2021
Pigs limping
« on: October 03, 2021, 01:26:12 pm »
I have some pigs kept in a stable and out on some level smooth concrete,  bedding in the stable,  they have a small area of mud at the end of the concrete which is quite stony . My older pig is limping on its front foot and now of some new piglets I have bought in 1 has also gone lame on its front foot . They go running around like crazy and I'm wondering if they've landed on a sharp stone and its due to that.
Would this be likely to be true , if not any other suggestions and how to treat it going forward , looking to move them into a spinney area soon .

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Pigs limping
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 11:21:49 am »
Sounds like bruising or cuts are possible. Have you had a look at the weaner for signs of either or any other damage to leg?

Older pig - how long has this been going on? Can you look at the foot. Perhaps when lying down, someone rubbing tummy while you look inspect?

Pennydunn98

• Joined Oct 2021
Re: Pigs limping
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 10:45:48 am »
Thanks for your reply , I cleaned the weaners foot and it seems to be recovering .
The older pig i couldn't see anything in the foot or any obvious cuts or anything however a few days on now I have just cleaned it and had another look and there are 2 small cracks forming in the outside of the hoof . There is cracking underneath along the edge and 1 toe is longer than the other , could trimming be the answer?
I will keep her in on clean dry straw and try and treat ?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:48:07 am by Pennydunn98 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS