Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Caught in the act  (Read 1374 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Caught in the act
« on: September 08, 2021, 11:52:27 pm »
I have caught our dog in the act of picking raspberries and he loves to eat the windfall apples and pears but a friend and I were talking on the doorstep when a branch of my apple tree moved suddenly and we both turned to catch Gordy in the act of helping himself to an apple from the tree.  :roflanim:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Caught in the act
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 06:17:28 am »
Perhaps he spent too much time with goats?  :thinking:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:13:30 am »
Labrador by any chance MGWM?

Ours pick blackberries, apples, plums and the younger one enjoys picking and eating runner, broad and French beans. They like nothing better than to sneak into the veg plot and help with a bit of harvesting.

Caught the older one trying to pick pyracantha berries yesterday!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 11:57:28 am »
Yes our dogs love to help themselves to fruit and veg, and out of season they get an apple a day too.

However, we have never had a dog which climbs trees to get to the apples- that's hilarious  :apple: :apple: :apple: :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 11:11:20 pm »
Labrador by any chance MGWM?

Ours pick blackberries, apples, plums and the younger one enjoys picking and eating runner, broad and French beans. They like nothing better than to sneak into the veg plot and help with a bit of harvesting.

Caught the older one trying to pick pyracantha berries yesterday!

You guessed it. Yes, a Labrador. He's actually a cross with retriever but more Lab in looks are behaviour. He's actually the OH's guide dog and a very good one but, when off-duty, he reverts to type. He can't get at the vegetables otherwise he would probably enjoy some beans but some of my fruit trees are in the front garden and he sneaks out when I leave the front door open.

FW, he wasn't up the tree. The branch was fairly low and then weighed down with fruit. I wouldn't put anything past him though.  :roflanim:

Macgro 7, I think the goats had gone before he came to live with us. He wouldn't need any encouragement though.

Some years ago, we did have a GSD who would have the apples out of the fruit bowl until I moved it out of reach. Then I caught him raiding my briefcase for my lunchtime apple.

Gordy, the current dog also enjoys the seedpods from my fuchsia bush. I read that they are good in a salad. Anyone tried it?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 09:56:01 am »
Our daily walk takes us to a community orchard.

Until my friend came with us with her Labrador who is apple daft, my two never touched any of the fruit.  Now, after seeing Isla rushing from tree to tree crunching all the apples she could find, they delight in a morning snack of apples, plums, pears, cherries - anything that has dropped off the trees.

Thankfully only the plums are low enough for them to reach due to the weight bringing the branches down or they probably clear them too :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 02:47:25 pm »
Reminds me of  any years ago, i was blackberrying and turned round to see Lady, my rough collie,  gently picking the fruits out of the bucket 🤣

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 09:54:56 pm »
Both our previous dog (wirehaired foxterrier) and the current one (lab) were/are mad for most fruit, no way I can take a dog with me picking blackberries...

Unfortunately both dogs are also very keen on berries from the ewe trees further down the road...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS