Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Connecting a trailer light wire to 12v battery  (Read 3212 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Connecting a trailer light wire to 12v battery
« on: September 04, 2021, 07:27:34 pm »
Is there such a thing?

Trailer plug that shoves in car, instead connect it to plug which has wires attached to a 12v leisure battery, if that makes sense?

It's a hassle to keep connecting the car to trailers when they don't live in same yard. I want to be able to check that all bulbs are working without having to keep running back and forth.

Would like to see them light up to.

Any ideas?
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Connecting a trailer light wire to 12v battery
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 10:30:13 pm »
I saw a trailer test board years ago - standard caravan plug connected to a battery with a row of switches to test all the lights on a piece of MDF.

Is that what you mean? 
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 10:04:13 am »
I would expect that kind of testing arrangement would be used anywhere that sold trailers or caravans. But perhaps it isn't going to be cheap and it would be best to make your own?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 04:31:43 pm »
I've got one of those, idiot proof, (well it works for me) and saves faffing about

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 07:06:09 pm »
Not to scale. Sorry about bad clarity. This was what I was wondering if possible to buy or easy to connect up for power.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Kevm

• Joined Apr 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 09:02:17 pm »
 Here is one I made,  just plug the trailer into it and flick the switch to test whatever circuit you want.
Handy as a 12v power supply for testing other stuff as well.
Just a lawnmower battery, a box,  some switches and a socket.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 01:33:05 am »
Dont those plug in testers give you the same end result? Sorry I cant open the image up properly on my phone to see what you have sketched so maybe talking rubbish. But if all you are after is testing the circuits then the plug in testers work really well. You also dont need 12v as it's just a continuity test

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS