Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is this grass please?  (Read 9560 times)

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
What is this grass please?
« on: August 29, 2021, 11:37:21 am »
A few clumps last year and quite a few more this year. Basically looks like giant grass, with wide strappy leaves. Hard to tell scale from photos. I would like to know what it is, if it's invasive or dangerous. I have 4 equines and 11 non breeding Shetland sheep. The bit it's growing in can e wet, but no rushes so not that wet. I usually leave this field all summer for winter grazing so it hasn't been topped.

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
Re: What is this grass please?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 11:48:38 am »
Been having trouble resizing photos to post but here is one of the grass in the field. The clumps come almost up to my waist and the seed heads are on long stalks way above that.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 12:28:28 pm »
Whereabouts are you [member=212919]Zan[/member] ?  It's certainly not a grass I'm familiar with. Is there a chance it's an escapee ornamental grass?  Also the second photo is not clear enough to see any ergot, as in your other post (best to keep the 2 posts as one).  It would need a clear close-up of the seed heads.
I understand that ergot is very toxic so I would get it identified by a professional in person.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 12:54:23 pm »
Thanks for reply--I'm in the Scottish Borders and not near any gardens so don't think it could be an escapee.
I thought I should post about the ergot in the different forum but will try to resize a close up to post here. How do I go about finding a professional -- I was intending contacting APHA as first step after the bank holiday?

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 01:00:36 pm »
Here's a close up of the seed head showing ergot

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 12:15:55 am »
It looks like a wild cereal to my untrained eye, perhaps spelt. 
APHA will tell you what grass it is as well as what to do about ergot - good move.

Does anyone near you grow ancient cereals?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:23:51 am by Fleecewife »

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 11:33:24 am »
Thanks Fleecewife. No ancient cereals. It's nearly all livestock all around me.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 03:12:39 pm »
Fleecewife may well be right about spelt, but also possibly some type of "cereal rye".  Can't say I've ever seen either in the flesh, but both can grow very tall I understand.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 05:14:21 pm »
Google 'spelt growing uk images' and pics of the standing grain come up.  Also one pic of the clumps of foliage before the heads appear.  Emmer and Einkorn have big awns like barley so it's not them but it does look very spelt-like or something closely related.  Fascinating  8)  although I do appreciate your problem [member=212919]Zan[/member] and it's very worrying.  I'm near Biggar so similar type of area and can't be far from you, but I've not heard of ergot here.

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 05:36:28 pm »
Google 'spelt growing uk images' and pics of the standing grain come up.  Also one pic of the clumps of foliage before the heads appear.  Emmer and Einkorn have big awns like barley so it's not them but it does look very spelt-like or something closely related.  Fascinating  8)  although I do appreciate your problem [member=212919]Zan[/member] and it's very worrying.  I'm near Biggar so similar type of area and can't be far from you, but I've not heard of ergot here.

I'm at Hartree near Biggar--- just inside the Borders border and no more, so exactly the same area. I had not heard of ergot here before this. It was pure chance and only because I was trying to identify that grass that I discovered I have it--- I would never have thought to look for it.And you do have to look for it to see it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 11:08:27 pm »
I'm about 4 miles north of you  :o   That brings it horribly close to home.  We have a lot of grass left growing long in our deliberately wild areas, so we'll be out with the magnifying glass tomorrow to see if any ergot spores have blown this way.  Will get our neighbours to check too.  Let us know what APHA has to say  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS