Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning  (Read 1329 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Weaning
« on: August 23, 2021, 05:38:50 pm »
I weand my lambs from the ewes last night moved them on to some better grass along with our pet lambs , my question is when will they settle down and be quite ha ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Weaning
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 09:58:19 pm »
Lol, a couple of days
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 07:36:47 am »
Thats ok then I was thinking they would get an asbo at this rate I live half a mile from them in town and can hear them if the wind is right so am sure the other half of town can too ha

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 10:06:26 am »
We  don't wean our lambs as such.  At 4 months we take out the males and they go over the road in with the tups.  They don't make a sound. Any ewe lambs stay with the mothers who have them weaned themselves by about 5 months or so, plenty of time to get their condition back by tupping time. However we are not trying to push fattening for market as we don't keep meat sheep which might need to be fed extra so would need to be separate from the ewes for that.  Our system suits us and is stress free for the ewes and the lambs and coincidentally us  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 01:11:07 pm »
We don't wean early either, never younger than 5 months and often don't separate until or unless pre-tupping management requires it, and we rarely get a so much as a peep.  (We band the tup lambs so don't need to separate them early.)

Lambs sent to the abattoir straight from their mums makes the tastiest, tenderest lamb meat - no stress, no check, all grass and milk and no cereal ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 04:59:49 pm »
Unfortunately the grass was getting low were they was and I can only keep 10 head on other feild so I had to move them and leave the ewes don't think I will have to give them any creep as the grass is very good

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 06:36:52 pm »
It’s whatever works for you. The majority of my fat lambs go straight off their mothers, but anything left by mid July is weaned (I lamb end feb/beg March). The ewes need time to get condition back before the rams go in, and I have access to grass away from home that they can graze. The lambs and any cull ewes stay at home where they are handy to bring in to weigh and pick out fat lambs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS