Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed please! :D  (Read 10975 times)

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
Advice needed please! :D
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:46:28 pm »
Hi everyone.
I'm 17, been around horses & been riding for nearly 10 years now. I've had horses to share & loan before.
I'm looking next year to buy a young horse. I have had some experience with young horses and I was asked to school a young pony who kept bucking & bolting with the owners. I really built a bond of trust with her as i was the only person that could successfully ride her without chaos...unfortunately they arent selling her so this isnt possible.I understand that it will be a lot of time & effort and that it's hard work! and I am up for this...I really want the rewards of having a young horse grow up with you & bond.I have a huge support base, with many experienced friends on hand if needed!

I would just love some advice in buying young horses and their training. & also does any one know if a 5 stage vetting is worth having? and how much it is?
Many thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you :D

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Advice needed please! :D
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:48:58 pm »
Well done you for taking the huge step forward.

What do you hope to do with a young horse, competition etc.,

Personally -  had horses all my life, -  I have only once had a horse 5 stage vetted and that turned out to be a disaster in more ways than one !!   Since then, yes I have had a 2 stage for eyes, wind & heart, but unless the horse is over £5K value, I would not consider it.
But having said all of that, until you have gained real experience, perhaps the first time it would be a good idea.
BUT always, without question, get blood samples taken at the vetting. 
Many horses have appeared quiet at that stage only to turn into raving lunatics.

If you have a blood sample that  shows drugs, the horse can be returned.  This can apply to a private sale, because the animal will have been misrepresented as to its character.  Obviously at that stage you would be using a solicitor.  There are many crooked people out there.

I would always buy direct from a breeder - perhaps an unspoilt 3 yr old, - that can start its education slowly.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:58:42 pm »
Not only drugs can make a horse seem quite, withdrawing water is often used. Buying any horse is a mine field, has it had the proper worming throughout its life, they can look ok and drop dead after a few years from worm damaged that started as foals. A well reared youngster can give lots of joy though if you know what you are doing. Its very easy to get it wrong, I always used to tell people to think of a 2/3 year old as a blank canvas. It will turn out either good or bad depending on what you do as the new owner. Still very much a baby. I hope you find the right animal and you enjoy the experience. As for the vetting, that is only as good as the day the animal gets vetted. I have always had eyes, heart and wind checked for the simple reason my horses did cross country and show jumping and the last thing i wanted was one to have a heart attack. Saying that insurance companys can get out of anything.  :)

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:53:44 pm »
Thankyou both for your feedback, it's much appreciated!

In terms of what I want to do with the youngster, I'm not really fussed about competing...possibly local shows :) I would want to jump & do XC but probably only for fun or small local shows :)

Sounds good about your tips for vetting- blood tests sound like a very good idea. Do you know roughly how much the 2 stage vetting plus bloods cost? (So I can add onto budget :) )

Also, throwing in another question if that's okay...
I used to share an Arab and she was amazing to ride...but a right handful to handle! To the suprise and interest of my yard, I was able to control her and ride her well and formed a real bond until the owners sold her because she became dangerous... Is this typical behaviour of Arabs?
Because I don't mind the breed of youngster I buy but an Arab is a possibility (as I LOVE riding them, their beauty, paces) but I wanted to ask your advice as I know that the Arab I shared was very highly strung and high maintainence...I wondered if this is always the case (and if this can be helped with the upbringing?) Many thanks x

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:42:45 pm »
Why don't you try Project Horse or one of the rescue societies? :)

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:03:16 pm »
Very good idea! But have tried and many branches are out of the catchment area & also, have been trying a local one but very slow/ no progress :/
Also, as I've had horses on loan adn to share, I would love one of my own as I've never truly felt like I can say i'm the owner... Hope you get where I'm coming from :)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:20:49 pm »
Hi everyone.
I'm 17, been around horses & been riding for nearly 10 years now. I've had horses to share & loan before.
I'm looking next year to buy a young horse. I have had some experience with young horses and I was asked to school a young pony who kept bucking & bolting with the owners. I really built a bond of trust with her as i was the only person that could successfully ride her without chaos...unfortunately they arent selling her so this isnt possible.I understand that it will be a lot of time & effort and that it's hard work! and I am up for this...I really want the rewards of having a young horse grow up with you & bond.I have a huge support base, with many experienced friends on hand if needed!

I would just love some advice in buying young horses and their training. & also does any one know if a 5 stage vetting is worth having? and how much it is?
Many thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you :D

its an incredible journey bringing a youngster on, i wanted to bring a youngster on just like you, one to bond with and we would grow together,i bred my youngster, it has been an absolute pleasure, she is amazing, she is now six, i broke her to ride, did the basics of breaking her to harness, i have learnt so much from her and our journey together, she is my best friend.
Its not been easy, but no major disasters and she is a well adjusted horse, i know what she is thinking and vice versa.

I wish you all the look in the world, and hope you forfill your dream, its incredible.
its everything i thought it would be and more

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:24:16 pm »
Thankyou so much :)
Sounds amazing :)
What breed is he/she?

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 08:28:01 pm »
it is

she is a friesian/dales/welsh/thoroughbred mum was the friesian/dales.

i saw her be conceived, saw two scans of her, saw her born, and we have spent every day together since  :wave:

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 08:33:26 pm »
Oh wow, sounds like you have had an amazing experience!
I would love that, but unfortunately I think that wouldn't be possible for me...but a youngster is probably second best :) growing and learning together :D
My parents wanted me to wait until I was older, But life is too short is it not? and I figured I only get one shot at life and I am completely horse obsessed :D It's my dream to own instead of loan so fingers crossed it will be successful :D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 08:37:40 pm »
dont rush into anything take your time, get loads of advice, it will happen when the time is right.

and enjoy, off to tuck my big girl up for the night now, give her supper and our nightly kiss and horse hug

Good luck  :horse: :wave:

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 08:40:36 pm »
Will do :)
Wow, she lives on your land?! How lucky !!  :wave: :horse:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 07:03:16 am »
For what you want - a real friend - consider the Irish Draught or cross.  This is a breed that would get you out of trouble where there is complete trust. Not for nothing is this breed reckoned to have a fifth leg !!   They are the finest hunters in the world.

Go onto the Irish Draught Breed Society website (UK one )  and on the stallion listings page you will find a lady called Janet George.  She has a large stud of pure and crossbreds from weaned babies to part broken etc.
Janet is a mine of information and will only sell the right horse to the right person.

Her stud name is Indigo Irish Draughts.    You simply cannot go wrong here.

Arabs are hot bloods the same as Thoroughbreds and in my opinion are not for inexperienced people - I mean this in the nicest way !

The Irish Draught was evolved to be the answer to all situations - a function it still fulfils.  There are a lot showjumping at top level, they do dressage, XC, hunt, harness work,  and anything else inbetween.   But their biggest attribute is the temperament.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:20:05 am »
its took years and years to be able to afford our own place with land, its been a dream of mine since i was a kid to have my horses at home, and 8 weeks ago that dream came true.

Sure yours will to, just be patient  :horse: :wave:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 10:28:27 am »
When you say you want a youngster, do you mean a young novice of 4-6 that hasn't done much schooling but is backed, or a complete baby/weanling, or youngstock of 2-3?  

If you are getting a ridden animal I'd consider a vetting, but a young one won't be fit enough to complete a 5 stage vetting that will accurately show problems as opposed to lack of fitness or developmentally incomplete processes - my opinion only, I'm not a vet but a breeder.

A 5 stage vetting on an unbacked horse/pony is impossible as far as I can tell.  A 2 stage would be worthwhile if the pony is sufficiently handled and there is a means of raising the heartrate sufficiently (and without stress to the pony) to measure the output.  So for a novice backed horse/pony or one ready to be backed that can be exercised by repeated trotting up, loose schooling etc.  Also worthwhile if you aren't sure what you are looking at in terms of conformation, want to take bloods because you're uncertain of the sellers' reputation/tactics etc.

I've never bothered with a vetting as far as I can recall, I know what I'm looking for and follow my heart and gut instinct.  A vetting will tell you a few things that might rule the animal out for certain levels of ridden activity or make it unsuitable for some particular activity altogether, but for general riding at local level I'm not sure it's worthwhile except that if you want insurance against vet bills the insurers might require it as an initial way of ruling out certain conditions.  I don't insure on that basis, only 3rd party liability, so don't need to prove anything except that I am looking at something I want to take home and enjoy a relationship with.

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS