Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello everyone!!  (Read 3850 times)

randyrat

• Joined Oct 2008
Hello everyone!!
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
Hi to everyone......
We stumbled across this site when looking for ideas....we have access to about 4 acres of sound meadow land with a stream border, a small barn and tractor, and a few rusted lumps of farming machinery.
At the mo' all that goes on in the field is an annual harvest of meadow hay, producing a couple of hundred quid for fence upkeep, tractor servicing etc.
Now, I am completely completely as green as grass as regards doing anything useful with it......so perhaps this is the right place to come for inspiration.
So far I have considered: Pigs, Sheep, Chickens,pheasant, Bees, or turning some of it over to crop production. Our working budget is about nothing, but we could maybe stretch to a couple of hundred pounds at a pinch.
Any suggestions welcome...we have a few good friends who will lend muscle in return for beer....in the meantime we will scour the forum pages....Thanks in advance.....and....HHHEEELLLOOOOOOO!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hello everyone!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Randyrat!  Love the name!

My late husband and I had 21 acres in Aberdeenshire and just let it out to a neighbour for cattle and hay.  Wish we had gone down the route you are about to take.  We did try 700 free range day old to 13 weeks chickens but that ended up in a loss of £50 so we didn't do a second batch.  Now I am down here I just have a large expanse of grass and shrubs (about an acre) with a wee burn at the front so I just have ducks and chickens.  When they start to lay they will pay for their food - but not mine, so I'm a fake smallholder.  I'm going to try growing my own veg next year though so I'm climbing the ladder  ;)

Good luck and enjoy all the great advice and repartie you'll find on here.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 04:39:56 am »
welcome randyrat, what a great opportunity you have, we rent 4 acres just down the lane which is a decent size field to get started. I think if your on a tight budget start small with just a few livestock but do your homework, some very wise people on here that are happy to help you out. think vegetables or crops grown for livestock would be a good route to keep your feed costs down maybe a couple of weaner pigs for meat, these would need to be fenced in a smaller area with strong fences. anyway best of luck 1000s of things you could do...................neil

charente

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:44:48 pm »
Bonjour,
Just read your message and your set up is spookerly similar to ours here in France. We've had our place a year and a bit and have also come up with all sorts of cunning plans from camping to ostrich farming. Before you decide you should start with sussex chickens 1 cock and 8-10 hens in one roost, let them out in the day to forrage your land, they will come back at sunset, lock them away then let them out in the morning,repeat until you or some eats them. They are very easy, give pleasure and eggs. Watch out for loose dogs in the day they love chicken as much as fox at night. Fresh water and maize in their roost and nesting boxes is about all they need. I have lots more info if you want.

cheers Charente

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:30 pm »
Pigs, chickens, veggies, sounds like heaven

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:20:07 pm »
Hello and welcome

Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:34:36 am »
Hi from Normandy!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

randyrat

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:09:14 pm »
Thanks all.....I think we'll probably kick off with some chickens and see where that takes us. The wife fancies a few beehives, so we'll do a bit of research into that area too.
Top site by the way........
Randyrat

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 10:28:28 pm »
Welcome from Lincolnshire. Be warned, what starts out as a few hens ends up a fulltime job! we started with four hens now have sheep, 45 hens four ponies two working dogs and if my mate gets his way a cow!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 03:06:29 pm »
hello from fws am in central belt too not got any animals (except step kids and husband) and a little bit of land next to the house where i attempt to grow veg and fruit.

At the mo trying to encurrage wildlife
Linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS