Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tree nursery - Cheviot trees - recommended????  (Read 2527 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Tree nursery - Cheviot trees - recommended????
« on: August 09, 2021, 02:40:48 pm »
I remember that somehow, somewhere "Cheviot trees" nursery near Berwick has been mentioned, but searching for it hasn't really worked just now.

Can someone recommend it?

We are planning to put a few trees into our field (a la Capability Brown...), so are looking for native ones that will grow easily in the Scottish Borders. My question is - cell grown vs small trees? We did grow one of our hedges from cell plants (Alba trees) and it took a good ten years to get nice and tall and dense. Our current hedge project is young 2ft plants from Scotplants and I reckon we are a good two or three years ahead in comparison to the cell grown hedge in the year after planting.

So if planting individual trees would you recommend cell grown or are these really just for hedging? How long/tall (if at all) would you grow cell-grown sapling on in a pot before you plant them out?

Also can someone recommend a tree nursery (other than scotsplants) that sell youg trees grown in the North of the UK?

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
Re: Tree nursery - Cheviot trees - recommended????
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 03:06:10 pm »
The fellow who planted our woodland used a nursery in Kelso.

My only likely result from a web search was this place:

https://stichillforestnursery.wordpress.com/about/

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 04:42:34 pm »
Can't really comment on Cheviot Trees (not having bought anything from them yet), but such a well established company must be doing something right !
If you [member=3211]Anke[/member] are not planting hundreds/thousands of trees, then perhaps 2 yr old bare root trees this Winter would be the better option and maybe splash out on a few older "potted" specimens (at any time with good watering regime) if you are prepared to dig some bigger planting holes and dig deeper into your pockets.
As to growing-on cell plants in a pot before planting out;  just plant a few in reasonably sized pots (we're not talking lobelia plugs here so something decent size - I have a few apple root-stock cuttings doing well in 5-6 inch pots presently) and see how they go.  Pull one out of its pot at the beginning of the next Winter to see whether roots are turning into a dense clump and make your decision on re-potting or planting-out based on root and stem growth.  Either way (re-pot/plant-out) early Winter thro' to, maybe, March will be the best time - as I'm sure you are aware anyway.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 06:50:53 pm »
Oh yes, that was me:  Welcome to Cheviot Trees (cheviot-trees.co.uk)

I just had a quick peek at the website and I can't immediately see larger trees than cell grown ones, however, I know they do them as I bought 2 six foot trees, a beech and a red oak (around £30 ish) for specimen planting.
In spite of the awful drought we've had this summer all the trees except a couple of hollies have come through - other than the 2 mentioned above, all were cell grown.

Have a look at their website then give them a ring which is probably what I did and they can tell you which bigger trees they have and make a recommendation of the best size for your needs.  They really are helpful.

In fact, bareroot trees do better than cell grown ones but the only ones I have previously bought are from companies I will not go to again.

Cheviot trees are a genuine and friendly company, doing their best for their customers.

MTS:  A little niggly something is telling me there's another part to their website which is relevant, but I couldn't see it immediately  :thinking:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:07:17 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS