Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1 very miserable Cockerel  (Read 3740 times)

fgaskell

• Joined May 2021
1 very miserable Cockerel
« on: August 08, 2021, 08:56:40 pm »
hi,
my cockerel is refusing to go into his house at night because of the other hens. I went out earlier, it was pouring with rain, and he is on top of the house looking miserable. What should i do?
any advice welcome.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: 1 very miserable Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 09:22:37 pm »
Tongue in cheek; eat him and get another!
Actually I have no idea.  Hope you get him sorted !

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 10:08:34 pm »
Are there other cockerels living in the coop?

Is he a young bird living with older hens?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 10:44:06 pm »
Do you have a shed you can put him in for the night, so he's at least out of danger of predation?

Depending on how many hens you have, could you pen him in a separate house with a couple of the gentler hens, then once he's bonded with them, you could try putting them all back together.

Certainly with a young cockerel in with mature hens, they have a period of approval where he has to prove himself a kind and knowledgeable cock or they will bully him and potentially drive him out. The ladies choose! If he's worth his place he will quickly improve his behaviour, curb his appetites (for treading the hens) and start showing them where the tasty morsels are and standing back while his favourite concubine snaps up said tasty morsels.  A mature cock leading and caring for his hens (which lets be honest, don't really need him) is a good sight around the farm.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 10:52:54 pm »
Find him a new home. The hens have spoken!

I had to find a rooster a new home once for this exact reason. He hid behind the back of the house all day. I found him a new home with a friend where he had his own hareem of ladies.

fgaskell

• Joined May 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 11:36:24 pm »
Are there other cockerels living in the coop?

Is he a young bird living with older hens?

Yes he is young and new so I was wondering if that was it.
but there are no other cockerels.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 07:00:13 pm by fgaskell »

fgaskell

• Joined May 2021
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 11:39:07 pm »
Do you have a shed you can put him in for the night, so he's at least out of danger of predation?

Depending on how many hens you have, could you pen him in a separate house with a couple of the gentler hens, then once he's bonded with them, you could try putting them all back together.

Certainly with a young cockerel in with mature hens, they have a period of approval where he has to prove himself a kind and knowledgeable cock or they will bully him and potentially drive him out. The ladies choose! If he's worth his place he will quickly improve his behaviour, curb his appetites (for treading the hens) and start showing them where the tasty morsels are and standing back while his favourite concubine snaps up said tasty morsels.  A mature cock leading and caring for his hens (which lets be honest, don't really need him) is a good sight around the farm.

He is in a big run so away from danger,  it’s more with rain and cold I’m asking for help!
He is quite young  so I will give it a bit longer.
Thanks

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 07:09:05 am »

He is in a big run so away from danger,  it’s more with rain and cold I’m asking for help!
Thanks
If there is a roof on the run, perhaps you could rig up a temporary roof (e.g. tarpaulin) over the top of the coop to give him a bit of shelter until the hens accept him?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 08:08:46 am »
Once you have a way of keeping him safe and dry he will need some help to win over the admiration of the hens. Throw him a treat, like a handful of mixed grain twice a day. He should call the girls over and within a week will be accepted by some as a useful food provider. May take quite a while to win over the top hens though- in our case about 3 months.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 02:11:02 pm »
Probably not mature enough to be seen as top bird by the older ladies. Hopefully this will work out in time.

I think I'd pop him in a separate pen with a couple of younger less feisty ladies for a few weeks. Do you have a small spare pen that could sit inside the main run? That way they can all still see each other.

That would probably work well but may not be possible depending on your set up.

How long has he been in residence?

fgaskell

• Joined May 2021
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 06:59:18 pm »
Probably not mature enough to be seen as top bird by the older ladies. Hopefully this will work out in time.

I think I'd pop him in a separate pen with a couple of younger less feisty ladies for a few weeks. Do you have a small spare pen that could sit inside the main run? That way they can all still see each other.

That would probably work well but may not be possible depending on your set up.

How long has he been in residence?

Hi thanks so much for helping,
we have had him for about a week and a half.
Yes i do have a smaller pen so will try that out!

fgaskell

• Joined May 2021
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 07:01:03 pm »

Thanks
If there is a roof on the run, perhaps you could rig up a temporary roof (e.g. tarpaulin) over the top of the coop to give him a bit of shelter until the hens accept him?

i will try that thanks!

fgaskell

• Joined May 2021
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 07:02:52 pm »
thank all for the information,
really appreciate this!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 11:09:12 pm »
hi,
my cockerel is refusing to go into his house at night because of the other hens. I went out earlier, it was pouring with rain, and he is on top of the house looking miserable. What should i do?
any advice welcome.
When the weather is nice (well, Above 10 degrees lol) all my chickens want to sleep on the roof. When it's really cold they go inside themselves.
They all used to sleep inside before - not sure what happened to them. One of them must have taught the others thisnbad habit
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 09:09:18 am »
hi,
any advice welcome.
When the weather is nice (well, Above 10 degrees lol) all my chickens want to sleep on the roof. When it's really cold they go inside themselves.
They all used to sleep inside before - not sure what happened to them. One of them must have taught the others thisnbad habit

Red mite? RM becomes active at 10 degrees and above.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS