Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bale Squeeze for lower HP tractors.  (Read 3024 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Bale Squeeze for lower HP tractors.
« on: July 17, 2021, 09:43:44 pm »
Is my question possible? Without killing the tractor, tipping the tractor or blowing pipes?

Though too late for this year, we have a Zeta 5211 with a Trima loader. With Spike she'll pick up round bales of hay and when feeding in field, used to cart bales of Silage.

Now though it's hay or the last couple of years Haylage.

Due to logistics of getting someone to move wrapped bales we're wondering if our tractor could do the job.

I know you can get those tube type squeezes and the small hand type. Would have to fit On our loader.

Does anyone with a smaller tractor do this or does anyone know if it is possible? Would ONLY be used at harvest time. 2 high, no higher.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Bale Squeeze for lower HP tractors.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 12:15:16 am »
Do you know what your loader is rated to (or what model it is)?

I would imagine it should be strong enough but be aware ;
1. Yours isn't a big tractor so it might not be very stable.
2. 2wd tractors are useless on soft ground when they have a load on the front.

Both these issues can be reduced if you put a weight on the back and stick to level, hard ground when doing loader work.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: Bale Squeeze for lower HP tractors.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 07:55:57 am »
Model is 790 and mum bought it brand new soon after buying the tractor which was used as market garden tractor with turf tyres. Very light use to start with. Mum got her when she was 2 years old and had tyres swapped and loader fitted. Purchased around 1991, then 8 winters feeding silage, 100 bales a year. (Only purchased for lifting as the  MF did the grunt work, even towed Zetor and trailer of Silage out of mud! Very comical when you see this little tractor pull all this weight with ease!)

Then after 2000, bales around 50 max then reducing each year. I am aware that silage is wetter therefore heavier. We do have weights, 8 x 33kg (4 for each side) that when we did silage had to be on. We haven't used them in years, we have a lighter basket on back of tractor (came in handy when taking a cow and calf to another property, calf in basket, cow tootling behind, before 1 cow decided "sod this, I'm going right, I'm off to town!")

Agree with soft ground, but we managed. I no longer feed in rings, goes in cratches. I strip the bales. That way sheep get a look in as they all live together!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS