Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EID Tags - Did You Know?  (Read 2002 times)

EID Tags - Did You Know?
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:38:27 pm »
Thought I would just share a little something, which I'm sure many of you already know, but it has caught some of our customers out this year.

When ordering your first set of EID tags against a holding number - the numbering starts again at 1, regardless of what number you got to last year with non EID Tags.

Now this wouldn't normally cause a problem, apart from those who may have registered their lambs prior to tagging with the various breed societies.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: EID Tags - Did You Know?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:35:30 pm »
I thought it was a little strange when our supplier wouldn't take the start number we asked for when ordering.

I read an interesting article in the farmers weekly this week about the way Scotland is headed too, to be honest it makes perfect sense.  Surely if an animal is fitted with an EID and goes to a destination thats on a register and has EID readers all the information can be stored and transmitted to the relevant authorities by them without the need for paperwork by us sellers.

Its stupid having electronic tags alongside paperwork - surly having EID will eventually mean that the paperwork we have to do is taken out of the equation.

Ta

Baz

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: EID Tags - Did You Know?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:47:57 pm »
But that would mean that EVERY farmer would need to own an electrOnic reader plus the associated software! If I buy/sell and/or move sheep/goats (who btw do so far not need EID) to a show I will still have to complete the paperwork. It's a lot cheaper than buying the eid stuff!!!!!

But yes I have had to be careful as to what numbers I use on my registered lambs this year so that I do not have double numbers in the system.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS