Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fence and cheeky lambs  (Read 3746 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Electric fence and cheeky lambs
« on: July 07, 2021, 07:14:35 pm »
So 2 of my cade lambs have decided that they are not scared of the electric fence and just jump though it the other 6 stay in the pen while the 2 go off on adventure , is they anything I can do to stop them or is it a case of now they have learned thats it they will just keep going through it ? They are in no massive danger getting out

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Electric fence and cheeky lambs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 08:23:06 pm »
Galvanised wire- 3 or 4 strands, and a good fencer unit- we use 1.7-2j output. Make sure it’s got a good earth too. Never let the battery go flat. Failing that if they keep going through, send them off before they teach the others.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 09:04:34 pm »
They are all going when fat they was 4 out just now the bloody things won't push thro to come back I had to lift them over , its a good unit and battery is good they just don't seem scared anymore

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:26:22 pm »
Has it got a good earth? What unit have you got on it? Is it shorting out anywhere? Even my ram got a crack off the fence the other day and reminded him why he doesn’t touch it. I suspect the battery has gone flat at some point and they are testing it. Are you using wire?

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 10:43:40 pm »
Its a hot line one I have tape on it not wire and I have used a 3 ft metal bar as the erth i will strim around the fence to make sure grass is not earthing it out etc

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 10:48:33 pm »
Sheep and pigs can hear whether the line is energised or not and will act accordingly. Sheep, being woolly may not necessarily have touched the wires even if they are energised - they have to learn by touching the wire with a non-woolly bit that it hurts.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 08:16:25 am »
Maybe change the tape for polywire with 6 or 9 strands of metal, or galvanised wire, it should conduct the current a bit better than tape. But now they’ve got no respect for the fence it can be hard to retrain them. Hotline do good fencers but some are more powerful than others- the Falcon fencer is pretty good, but I’d not use anything with less power than that. Other option is hook it up to the mains.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 02:08:01 pm »
Am going to strim around the bottom of the fence to make sure no grass is making it earth,  its in a big horse shoe shape will it help moving the energiser to the middle of it its at the end at the moment?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 03:44:38 pm »
Nothing beats testing what amount of zap the fence is giving.  You can buy a meter (don't get just a beeper, that just tells you it's live, not how big a belt it will give), or you can do it the old way, using a blade of grass.

Grass is a poor conductor, but it does conduct, so get a nice long, thick blade and hold it at one end.  Drape the other end across the tape.  If you get a sting, all is good, otherwise move your end closer and closer to the wire or tape until you do.  If you had to get within an inch or so, that's not enough and won't bother anything.  3" is good.

Also, many people do not realise that (a) tape is very hard to join and not lose charge completely or somewhat; (b) if the tape is wound up twisted rather than flat, it will not work as well when you roll it out next time; (c) tape left out in all weathers will eventually deteriorate and the amount of zap it will give will reduce.

(Ask me how I know all this stuff....  ::))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 06:34:50 pm »
Agree with twizzel you need to stop them now or you never will ,4 lines of steel wire kept really tight with a big pulse

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 10:23:01 pm »
Just checked and its a 0.7 uint

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 07:50:40 am »
It might not be powerful enough for the fence length and if there’s vegetation touching it. I think to get them to respect a fence now you’re going to have to get a more powerful fencer and change to 9 strand polywire or galvanised wire.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 07:54:13 am »
I have one of these fence testers and it is worth its weight in gold.  I charge the batteries up when the tester reads less than 4, the mains powered fence runs at 7.8.

https://www.countrystoredirect.com/cgi-bin/sh007239.pl?WD=p36&PN=P36.-Hotline-Digital-Electric-Fence-Tester-P36.html&gclid=CjwKCAjw55-HBhAHEiwARMCszjB-yY7EwE3Lepm5OQJt64uyBaiSVyFQfNowKb8n1z6UO_lLI6ZKTBoCoK8QAvD_BwE#SID=57

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 08:25:58 pm »
I have learnt the hard way that sheep need galvanised wire, not tape. Their wool protects then from some of the current so it needs to be as direct as possible.  It needs to be really tight so that they cannot just push through it.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 08:30:14 pm »
This morning I saw how they getting out the biggest lamb just jumps over the fence like a race horse then his 2 mates just push thro the wire to be with him

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS