Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Larsen Trap Egg Thief  (Read 11383 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: The Larsen Trap Egg Thief
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 08:56:01 pm »
Ooh, did you know there were pine martens in the area? It was a pine marten that stole the Arkaig osprey eggs one year - ran up the tree, about 70' tall I think, grabbed one of the eggs, stashed it somewhere, ran back up, etc until all three were gone and the osprey breeding year was wasted. They are immensely skilful at stealing their prey, so I'm not sure you will be living amicably with yours, especially once she has kits around. I think it will be more about protecting your stock with fencing and foolproof measures.  Given the marten knows there is a wonderful supply of self-replacing eggs at your place, maybe she will be happy just to accept your offering and leave the rest alone, especially as she hunts at night and presumably your birds will be safely indoors at night. Fort Womble!

:idea:  at least we don't have Gluttons (wolverines) in Scotland....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:59:08 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 10:28:43 pm »

I just came across this and am seriously puzzled:

<<< It
is an offence to kill any wild bird, gamebird or hare on a Sunday. Although there is no restriction on killing any wild bird, gamebird or hare on Christmas Day, provided it does not fall on a Sunday,it is not customary to do so.>>>

It seems to be referring to Scotland, and I am aware of the diktats of the Free Church, but is this a genuine law, or just a religious thing?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 10:31:53 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 06:53:06 pm »
I guess that is similar to it being illegal to catch migratory fish (salmon & sea trout) on a Sunday?

On one hand it will be about Sabbath observance. However, a cynic might say that since the everyday people worked Monday to Saturday and only had the Sabbath off, it might have been to prevent them from getting on the water?  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 09:30:25 pm »
Wow! And a good clear photo too.... but I have no idea how to protect your eggs/poultry from them...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS