Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silly sheep took a dip  (Read 2634 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Silly sheep took a dip
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:33:34 pm »
Am sitting in the dining room on laptop while OH cooks away when the usual galloping of hooves comes past the back door on the decking  i thought there go dolly and basil our 2 orphan ewes lambs that we raised, unfortunately they have been spoilt and unlike our other sheep they are allowed to roam free anywhere on our land,then they started calling to each other like they normally do if one loses the other,then it got worse louder and more of a desperate call so opened the door to see whats going on and basil is in the pond on the decking,ive never moved so fast in my life! dragged her out(god shes heavy) checked her over and she seems ok.

Do you think she'll be ok

What a night.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: Silly sheep took a dip
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:01:08 pm »
Ooops!! :o Have you dried him off?  Make sure if he's out of the way of cold wind, perhaps put him in the shed for the night if you have one.  I'm sure he'll be fine but wet sheep and cold wind do not go well together.  Cheers.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:33:32 pm »
Sorry, should have said 'her' not 'him'!!

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:29:48 am »
Am sitting in the dining room on laptop while OH cooks away when the usual galloping of hooves comes past the back door on the decking  i thought there go dolly and basil our 2 orphan ewes lambs that we raised, unfortunately they have been spoilt and unlike our other sheep they are allowed to roam free anywhere on our land,then they started calling to each other like they normally do if one loses the other,then it got worse louder and more of a desperate call so opened the door to see whats going on and basil is in the pond on the decking,ive never moved so fast in my life! dragged her out(god shes heavy) checked her over and she seems ok.

Do you think she'll be ok

What a night.

Well I hope they are fine now, one of mine did the same and he seemed to get over it ok, I would imagine that the stress is more bad for them than the actual water, but I am no expert at all, I too have 2 pet lambs and they are great fun, and  having them run free is great the way you have them like that,

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:58:19 am »
Oh poor thing......thank goodness you were on the spot to go rescue her.     Hope she's OK  :sheep: :sheep:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 04:13:59 pm »
In the summer we put our sheep in the garden & several of them went in the pond. Most got out but 2 had to be pulled out. It is pretty deep so ours must be able to swim. Mind you it was summer so getting cold was not a problem.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:14:20 pm »
Yes shes fine today,they sleep in the yard near the feed room most of the night so she was out of the wind and cold.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:13 pm »
Glad to hear she's OK. Pretty tough these sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS