Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reindeer  (Read 8344 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Reindeer
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 04:03:39 pm »
Thank you everyone  :)   the neighbours were all very excited when I said we had considered reindeer!! to be honest, its not for us, not this year anyway.  the thought of having to sort out 8ft fencing is very offputting for a start, still getting to grips with goats!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:50:51 pm »
There are 2 deer farms within a few miles of me

Fletchers? and the scottish deer centre?

there are also a few private herds in the relative area including one 3miles from me, and a few feral herds roaming in the forests such  as tentsmuir and falfield(peat inn) due to breakouts.

you gotta love deer but thay can be so destructive to young trees

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 07:29:28 pm »
Our neighbour had deer, and last xmas some a$Se broke in, nicked a load of them. The police issued warnings not to buy any meat as they were not for eating - they were either fed or injected with something to make them unsuitable but I dont know why he did that. Maybe its a requirement for keeping non-eating deer?

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 07:43:03 pm »
standard warning when any meat is stolen to frighten the   tollies that stole it their is that element of dout?????????

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 08:44:42 pm »
We were reading up about reindeer but were put off by an article (will see if I can find it again) that said they were very prone to suffering badly from worms, coccidia etc. and needed a very large area to roam over. And that they were rather aggressive  :-\

Decided to stick with goats too!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 09:20:33 am »
i think the word aggressive would have put me off too! and they look so cuddly in pictures. I suppose rutting season would see a difference in personality too. too much unknown. at least with the goats I feel a bit more confident and having 4 small children, can't be risking grumpy animals!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS