Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: @£$***!! Terrier  (Read 2195 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
@£$***!! Terrier
« on: November 13, 2010, 03:16:21 pm »
Stupid turkey - flew up onto 8 foot fence and instead of flying back down into field, jumped straight onto our barking terrier....

Luckily we got to her quickly but still had to put her down, the dog ripped her skin badly and it would have been cruel to try and keep her - so turkey for supper next week....

Can't blame the dog, what excitement to have a crazy bird 8 feet flapping around above you for 5 minutes before swooping down into your mouth!

Glad we didn't have all 10 booked for xmas yet.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: @£$***!! Terrier
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:36:25 pm »
Ouch!!  Poor turkey (nearly) lucky dog!! ;D

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:12:14 pm »
Ha, not lucky any more - confined to barracks tonight.  Only allowed out under tight supervision.....

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 06:16:27 pm »
Jeez, i thought i had it bad with my pup chasing the rabbit  :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:40:05 pm »
All my dogs have been known to retrieve a chicken or a duck, but fortunately being soft mouthed gundogs they are brought to hand alive.  But does it stop the damned things from jumping onto the fence and down beside them - nope, they still get a fright and squawk their heads off while they are being brought back!  Until recently I lost a few to my Gernman Wirehair - bit she seems to have stopped chasing them as she has got older - she's 13 and a half now so not so fleet of foot.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:52:26 am »
i would be careful about eating it the dog will have contaminated it with bugs. it happened to us the first year we had turks its a real pity when they are getting to eating size

smokingdragon

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Crynant Nr Neath
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 08:57:14 pm »
As long as its cooked properly any bugs should die. I've eaten loads of pheasants damaged by 'apprentice' gun dogs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS