Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please recommend me a trailer (or 2)  (Read 3806 times)

jaffab

• Joined Sep 2019
Please recommend me a trailer (or 2)
« on: June 18, 2021, 04:51:06 pm »
Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations for a trailer (or two).   The details are...

-For general use and livestock...  moving hay, food and animals
- For animals, max load will be 2 x dexters or 2 x large pigs per trip
- To be towed on std driving license, behind a l200
- Happy to diy walls for supports (hay/trees/etc)
- Need to be legal (somebody said on another post it has to be side loading for the abattoir?)
- Last forever, but cost the minimum (ha ha)

I have seen others say that for 2 x dexters, you need an 8 x 5.. so was looking at a GP85DB from edwards, but with a conversion kit, its coming in at 3800 plus vat for basic. And i think i need to add a ramp, spare tyre etc to that.  Gulp.   Seems a lot for a handful of journeys a year.

I was wondering if it was better to rent (is that money down the sink) when needed, or may cheaper to get a animal mover and a general trailer as separates.

Anyone have any advice?

Ps.... this thread got me thinking as well....
https://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/equipment/converting-a-general-purpose-trailer-to-a-stock-trailer/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:11:19 pm by jaffab »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Please recommend me a trailer (or 2)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 08:08:24 pm »
Get a good second hand 8' x 5' off ebay or a farm sale. I always get Ifor Williams, but Graham Edwards are equally good. Why are you looking at a new trailer that costs 10x the price of one of your cows?? A decent second hand one will last you for a decade or 2.
If you are planning on something that holds 2 dexters (weighing @ 350kg each, give or take) you will need a braked trailer and for that you will have to take your trailer test. But if you don't go mad on a new trailer you'll have plenty over to pay for your test and it'll always come in handy.
No - you don't need a side ramp for the abattoir.
I wouldn't advise renting. if you've got livestock you need your own trailer. You will then find so many uses for it that you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. I don't know how much trailer rental is now but it'll be a considerable proportion of what your dexters are worth and as you suggested, is definitely money down the drain. 

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 09:28:27 pm »
[member=6533]landroverroy[/member] - braked trailer = trailer test !? ???

I don't actually know the details of the rules, but I had thought a trailer test requirement was related to overall train weight.  BUT also related to when one acquired driving license:  as my car servicing agent once said to me "Wow, your 1980 driving license covers you for driving almost anything !"  Not quite actually - but it does cover towing circumstances covered by categories 'BE', 'C1E' & 'D1E' so no trailer test required for those.

Any further advice/details ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:38:15 pm by arobwk »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 10:06:32 pm »
Yes ok arobwk - I assumed that the poster was below the age where you didn't need to take a test, ie that test was taken after Jan 1997. Exact details are on the government website.
And to be strictly accurate if the max possible weight that can be carried by the braked trailer + the weight of the towing vehicle do not together exceed 3500kg, again you don't need a test.
However a trailer that can carry 2 cows is highly likely to be able to legally carry 2500kg and that + the weight of an L200 would be likely to exceed 3500kg.
So although I was talking in general terms, I would suggest that if OP took his/her test after 1997 that it would make things easier to take a trailer test. He/she could then buy any reasonably priced small cattle  trailer which would then easily carry all the other stuff that he/she wanted to carry.

Rules are made:

jaffab

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 07:45:19 am »
OP here..  so my licence has a BE stamp, which means... Category BE - You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer. The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is: before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg
(source https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories)
My date is from 1988, so that 3.5kg

The truck (L200 series 6) says pretty much the same - payload of 1.080kg and a towing capability of 3.5tonnes

So weight should not be an issue (wont be going anywhere near the 3.5 I imagine)

So you say 2nd hand 8x5... and no side panels needed.    So I assume you are recommending a fixed-cover animal trailer, and then just throw any thing that is not an animal into when needed? 

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 02:04:19 pm »

So you say 2nd hand 8x5.    So I assume you are recommending a fixed-cover animal trailer, and then just throw any thing that is not an animal into when needed?

Yes! With a fixed cover you can throw anything in and not have to strap it down. :sunshine:
Rules are made:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 08:28:38 am »
Just get a second hand cattle box. If it’s old make sure the floor is sound. You’ll need loading (side) gates which will make loading and unloading safer and easier. That trailer you’re looking at doesn’t have loading gates.

You don’t need to spend a fortune. We bought a 4 year old 12ft nugent trailer with decks and cattle partition for £3600 from a Nugent dealer. You prob don’t need anything that big but sometimes the bigger trailers are easier to come by second hand. Just make sure there’s a cattle partition and loading gates. It’ll make your life a lot easier!

jaffab

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 05:12:11 pm »
OP here, back again with an update.
We looked at a few 2nd hand ones in the area - and shocked at the price V new compared to the condition of them - so decided just to invest the money in a new one.

Decided on an Edwards 10x5 with 6 HR... but we are still waiting for the dealer to confirm the purchase - he is all "should not be a problem" on the phone, but for whatever reason, wont commit to accepting an order.

Odd

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 10:32:04 am »
OP here, back again with an update.
We looked at a few 2nd hand ones in the area - and shocked at the price V new compared to the condition of them - so decided just to invest the money in a new one.

Decided on an Edwards 10x5 with 6 HR... but we are still waiting for the dealer to confirm the purchase - he is all "should not be a problem" on the phone, but for whatever reason, wont commit to accepting an order.

Odd

Probably because there's a long wait on new trailers. Like most new machinery, everything is taking longer due to covid and has gone up in price too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS