Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Insufficient colostrum  (Read 2866 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Insufficient colostrum
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 10:02:56 am »
So far I've not found someone in the area who's drenching now and could give me some. But I've come across Provita Jump Start - would that maybe be an option? It comes in much smaller packaging.

That’s for newborn lambs though, not older lambs. You really want a chelated mineral drench like sally says. They come in large quantities though so unless you want to waste a lot of money, I’d just monitor him and see how he does.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 01:01:57 pm »
I would have expected farmers local to you to be giving lambs minerals in the next month or two.  At weaning for sure.  And to drench their ewes before tupping.  (So for instance maybe early November for hill flocks lambing outside in April, late August for Suffolks to lamb indoors in January.)

Not sure what breed yours are? Texels and North Ronalsdays can be sensitive to copper and I wouldn't advise using it unless you know they are deficient. (All UK ground is deficient in copper, cobalt and selenium, but some breeds of sheep have evolved to manage with very little copper, and too much copper can be fatal.)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 01:04:28 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 01:17:13 pm »
Meanwhile, feed him a bit of Champion Tup & Lamb or similar (ie., a mix suitable for male sheep) as you wean him and for a month or two after, as that will have minerals in it.  And get a lump of Himalayan Rock Salt for them to lick.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Michelle.L.

• Joined May 2021
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 07:41:04 pm »
Already have a Himalayan rock, not sure if they have been at it yet, though.
They are both Cheviots.
I actually spoke to JG Animal Health and they do half liter bottles with two years shelf life, so I won't be wasting that much after all and just ordered one :-) Thanks for the recommendation!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS