Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Forest garden  (Read 2545 times)

Leefle

• Joined Mar 2020
  • Devon
Forest garden
« on: July 11, 2021, 02:19:58 pm »
Hi

I would like to be able to create a forest garden within a field I use for grazing sheep.

Looking the subject up on the web this is possible to use the area to help all the the wildlife flourish, I would also like to be able to let the sheep in to help manage, has anybody got any experiences they could share and what fruits and herbs would work well, I was also thinking of nut trees?

Early stages getting ideas.

Regards

Lee

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Forest garden
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 03:34:40 pm »
Most sheep will ringbark trees, so you might have to be prepared to put guards around all the trees.  Plus, my understanding of a forest garden is that it's multiple levels, from tall trees down through the storeys to ground cover plants.  Sheep will eat all the lower-level herbage, so I cannot really see how sheep and a forest garden can cohabit. 

What you could maybe consider is making a forest garden in one section, or around a part of the perimeter, and having sheep in the grassy bits - fenced off from the forest garden bits.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 04:26:56 pm »
Hi

I would like to be able to create a forest garden within a field I use for grazing sheep.

Looking the subject up on the web this is possible to use the area to help all the the wildlife flourish, I would also like to be able to let the sheep in to help manage, has anybody got any experiences they could share and what fruits and herbs would work well, I was also thinking of nut trees?

Early stages getting ideas.

Regards

Lee
Have a look at Richard Perkins from Ridgdale Permaculture farm on YouTube.
This is exactly what he does and what we do.
If you want to have sheep in the same field with lots of trees and fruit bushes you need to plant everything on rows with wide (10-12 metres let's say) lanes of grass between them. You manage your sheep/cows/goats/whatever other animals, with portable electric fencing.
The best thing for the sheep is electric net or at least several strands of wire.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 08:50:07 pm »
Hi [member=200704]Leefle[/member] , I wonder if, rather than us trying to teach our Grannies to suck eggs, you tell us how much you know, and which aspects of forest gardening you have found would work for you? Then, ask specific questions.  Open ended topics tend to end up not being relevant unless you let us know precisely what you want to know, and give feedback when someone has offered an answer.  You have found that it is possible to keep sheep in a forest garden, but if we know what you are already considering then we can give our relevant experiences.

I grow a lot of trees, but for them to survive I keep my sheep well away from them, allowing them only to eat overhanging leaves and branches, or branches we have cut for them to eat in winter.
Similarly, our sheep are not let anywhere near our veggies, or we would have none.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS