Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: eggs  (Read 1931 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
eggs
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »
very odd.
we produce enough eggs for our local country store at the moment 12 dozen closer to 3 dozen in summer. any way today we have had two people wanting eggs one wanting 10 dozen a week and another wanting whatever we had for a food show as there shop has none to show.

its hard to explain to people that our hens are heading into winter and that theres no way we can help. i tried the other local egg producers and there is not one spare egg in the west side of shetland. im hearing that lots of people are giving up because of the cost. this would be a shame if were going back to the mass produced eggs. but i can understand as our feed has just gone up by 50p. yet we can't really increase the price to the shop.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:34:24 pm »
Are you restricted to feeding pellets because you sell your eggs?  Mine get all sorts of foods - bread, buns, veg etc etc.  And I remember my Auntie Madge years ago (maybe about 50 years ago......... :-[) mixing up a mash for hers made of porridge oats, veg and goodness knows what else.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:17:40 pm »
you have to be able to prove what you have fed them. however if your chickens choose to raid the compost/manure pile whos fault is it if you put veg or old bread on it. a bit silly after all we dont list the contents of the worms and other bugs they catch. we had the animal health visit this week and i felt really bad as they had to wade through ankle deep mud to get to the hen house. which was in a mess because of the mud. they were very helpful and even told us about a supplier of cheap gravel.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:42:42 pm »
I always feel bad if I can't provide (just surplus) - but why does everyone ask me for eggs NOW? All over summer I'm sitting on them  :D and nobody wants any! Also had to put up the price by 10 p per 6.... :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:14 pm »
i felt really bad as they had to wade through ankle deep mud to get to the hen house. which was in a mess because of the mud. they were very helpful and even told us about a supplier of cheap gravel.
That worried me too, my run is a mess as well - I had got it half cleared when all this rain hit us, so it is just a swamp now.  They have dry straw in their shed though - and perches (not that they use them ) so they are cosy.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hardfeather

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 08:22:56 am »
All over summer I'm sitting on them  :D

OMG...how do you spare the time...and what's your hatch percentage?  :D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:25:21 am by AengusOg »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 09:14:15 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
I knew that was coming... :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS