Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long before coop can be used after creosote?  (Read 6442 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
how long before coop can be used after creosote?
« on: November 12, 2010, 07:54:43 pm »
Hi All,

can any one tell me how long I have to wait after creosoting my coops before I can put my birds in it?

Buffy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: how long before coop can be used after creosote?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »
Hi I waited 5 days until I was sure it was dry. HtH

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:08:12 pm »
that reminds me i need to get some creosote the creocote has now run out

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 12:55:32 am »
Best idea Wait till its dry, its oily so might be a few days in this weather, did mine in the summer and good after two days so long as theres ventilation.

Very underrated creosote, damn fine nasty product, pesky varmints don't like creosote up ehm mr Manering  ;D

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:33:01 am »
Thanks Cobra,

I was thinking the very same ( of corporal Jones ) as I was treating the coops. I was facinated by where they were hiding ( actually inside the removable piece of board which divides the nest boxes!) Now I know where they hide I can make sure I squirt my nettex in those bits. I did tink about sealing those gaps up but reconed that if there is a tiny gap in the sealant they will find it but I will struggle to get my mite treatments in. So Im leaving them upen to offer any future mites a home that I can easily flood with mite killer.......sneaky eh  ;D

The inside of the coops dried very quickly but the only sticky places were where I had previously used a wood preservative on the outside of the coop. I will give it one more week to let the smell fade a little and put them in next weekend.

Buffy the mite slayer

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:44:02 am »
Those mites love crevices, and right in the next boxes too! Little b*ggars.   >:(

With regard to the creosote, another week should be fine.  :)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:11:00 pm »
I'm thinking the birds can go back in their coop in a week but my OH and my broody have other ideas. OH and my broodies two "late in the year" chicks feel that its far too cold to be outside ( but they're chickens!)

The birds are camped in the dog crate in the porch. I insist in opening the door to the garden every day and inticing them out with goodies but the babies dont really like it. Its a beautifully sunny day today despite a frosty night but my broody only manages to get them out in the sun for a very short while before they rush back in. I may have hatched a couple of couch potatoes.

Think I will post a thread about late hatching chicks, this could go on for weeks and I cant cope with all the poop!

Buffy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS