Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cow in calf  (Read 6448 times)

st425

• Joined Jan 2021
Cow in calf
« on: May 09, 2021, 07:00:36 pm »
Hi,

I bought a cow in calf in February, to use as a house cow. According to the ad she was “due any day”. However, we’ve just noticed her in standing heat. I mentioned this to the seller. She hasn’t offered any financial compensation, and I just wondered if I should ask for something?

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
Re: Cow in calf
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:58:31 pm »
compensation might depend on what you paid for her.  as in some cases she might be worth a good bit more if she's not in calf. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:02:44 pm »
Was she scanned in calf by a vet or was it just a guess? Did you buy her privately or through a market?

Cows are not legally fit to travel in the last month of pregnancy so selling her as due any day is a bit dicey really.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 09:47:48 pm »
Did she look in calf and as though she was due any day? I would say if you bought her in calf and at that stage of pregnancy then you are due compensation but the seller may query why you have waited so long before informing them.

st425

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 11:01:35 pm »
compensation might depend on what you paid for her.  as in some cases she might be worth a good bit more if she's not in calf.

She was part of a small herd that we bought (2 cows, 1 heifer, 2 steers) but the she only one who was advertised as in calf.

st425

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 11:10:11 pm »
Was she scanned in calf by a vet or was it just a guess? Did you buy her privately or through a market?

Cows are not legally fit to travel in the last month of pregnancy so selling her as due any day is a bit dicey really.

Not scanned. Bought privately. She was in with a bull until 19th July, so we have only just gone past the last date when she would have calved. We spoke about this, then the seller said she may be in calf to a male that was castrated in December - so potentially in calf until September. But she was definitely standing heat today.

st425

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 11:29:28 pm »
Did she look in calf and as though she was due any day? I would say if you bought her in calf and at that stage of pregnancy then you are due compensation but the seller may query why you have waited so long before informing them.

She does look round. We’ve been in contact with seller discussing her last possible calving date for a while, which has recently passed. Then there was a possibility that she’s pregnant to a different bull, making her due in September. But today’s the first time I definitely saw her in standing heat

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 07:30:29 am »
In standing heat then NOT in calf ......  previous owner fobbing you off.   You bought 2 cows ..... was there a differnce in price?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 07:43:08 am »
If she wasn’t confirmed in calf by scanning then I don’t think you’ve got a leg to stand on really. She could have been empty and not cycling when you bought her. We’ve had cows that look in calf but when actually scanned are empty.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:07 am »
It appears not all cow owners are honest then. Before i sold Juniper last year I had her scanned, so i could advertise her as sold as seen, empty, bulling etc. But I've known folk buy stores through the auctions and a few weeks later, if they are lucky, weedy calves born, if not lucky, elephants due to the corn the mothers have been scoffing and expensive vet bills. Even the auctions (around here) do ask that all store females are pregnancy tested "just in case". Besides, I would want to know so the cost of a vet and a scanner would confirm either way. But that's me.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 09:48:16 am »

She does look round. We’ve been in contact with seller discussing her last possible calving date for a while, which has recently passed. Then there was a possibility that she’s pregnant to a different bull, making her due in September. But today’s the first time I definitely saw her in standing heat

If she was "due any day" when you bought her surely she would have been bagging?

Whether you have been misled deliberately or the seller has been mistaken she clearly wasn't due any day and nor is she going to calve to the second bull. As Linda say's above was she the same price as the other cow? If she was more I think you have grounds for compensation. If she was the same price you could still argue your case as she was advertised/sold in calf.

You say the seller hasn't offered compensation but why would they? You have nothing to lose by asking for it.

st425

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 10:57:30 am »
In standing heat then NOT in calf ......  previous owner fobbing you off.   You bought 2 cows ..... was there a differnce in price?

The 5 cattle were bought as a “job lot” so didn’t pay individual prices for them.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 11:08:55 am »
You took the sellers word but I doubt you’d have a comeback, she’s essentially run with a bull but not been proven at any stage to be in calf  :thinking: 

st425

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 11:10:47 am »
You took the sellers word but I doubt you’d have a comeback, she’s essentially run with a bull but not been proven at any stage to be in calf  :thinking:

Yes... we live and learn I guess!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 11:19:00 am »

Yes... we live and learn I guess!

Yes, this is true but whilst there was no proven "in calf" she was advertised as such and you bought as such so personally I would speak to trading standards and the seller. I think it isn't worth a long legal battle but I think it is worth a couple of conversations that cost nothing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS