Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: James Matthews, 21 Years Old, My Story!!! Please Comment  (Read 3664 times)

JarmFarm

• Joined Nov 2010
James Matthews, 21 Years Old, My Story!!! Please Comment
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:28:45 pm »
For people who don't no me im 21 years old and I started smallholding back in 2007 when I had just started agricultural college. I started my smallholding with breeding rare breed poultry and now have increased my stock to pigs and sheep. I have a website that every 3 months I write an article about what I have been up to, as I on a smallholding that is growing rapidly I wanted to share my experience with others. This is my winters update if you want previous please email me and I can send them to you via email. Hope you enjoy,James
Winter 2010

As I type this and look at the beautiful Chiltern beech woods from my desk it makes me feel privileged to live in such a beautiful part of the countryside on days like today with the sunlight clipping the the tops of the trees and the first frost clinging to the headland like glue you realize that winter is upon us.

Although we only have twenty odd acres around the farm it is great to see all the ewes back at home for tupping they look in good condition and the over seeded field looks great and hopefully will help to produce a good crop of lambs. Once the grass is taken down a bit more they will be off to a friends farm on 30 acres of grass which has been cut late for  horse hay and re- grown well it has had no sheep on for a few years so will hold the sheep for a few weeks topped up with some feed blocks.

Most of last years lambs have gone with the exception of a few welsh black weathers these have been put on good clean grass with blocks and a little supplement although the carcases from the welsh black are small the flavour is really great and hopefully if we run the few stragglers to hogget’s they may just make a little larger carcass.

I have kept three gilts back from a previous litter of my saddleback and they look great  I hope to A.I  these as I cannot warrant another boar for the few sows I keep, This brings me on to a funny storey, many years ago my dad had kept a Glouster sow and had decided to A.I the sow not to much success it has always been a family joke as my mum said dad sitting on the back of this pig in the field with the sow although in season not quite ready and to my mum and my sisters amusement dad straddling himself across the sow and hopping round the pen the more my mum giggled the more of a stress head my dad got on, she said what made her laugh the most was the public foot path that ran through the farm although no right next to the pig paddock in eye shot and she could imagine one of the churchey ladies going for her afternoon walk coming through the woods and seeing my dad strapped across this pig that would have been a good coffee story after Sunday service. It must be said dad was the proud father of 5 bay Glouster piglets so all his efforts were not in vain.

While on the subject of pigs my kune Kune pig has given birth to 10 piglets but only reared 6 these are great fun loads of kids have been round to see them and the mum does not mind you picking them up even if they squeak a bit she is still fat and does not look as if she has even given birth I believe I have sold four so only a couple to go.

Another new edition to my menagerie is a collie pup called Jess she came from a farm in Berkshire and is very bold and has settled down with my black lab a treat with the amount of ewes and the fields they are in it is a struggle to say the least to get them moved my dad is getting older and slower a little deaf so does not answer to the whistle as well as he used to, watch this space dog training this should be fun although saying that my lab had her first day picking up on the local shoot and she did not put a foot wrong marked birds and was a treat to work so perhaps my collie training will be something to look forward to next spring.

The poultry looks good the khaki ducks have just started laying and the eggs are easy to sell mum has just made Yorkshires for Sunday dinner and they were really good lovely texture Jamie Oliver eat your heart out.

The rare breeds have almost finished laying although the Sussex are still laying well, my Nan was over for Sunday lunch and has always kept a few chickens in the garden she is nearly 90 but has a keen eye for the poultry she said that the birds look good and was particularly impressed with a pen of maran pullets just at point of lay. I enjoy writing my articles and hope you enjoy them too it just makes the whole thing link together and even I enjoy looking back and seeing progress. I must sign off as one of Glouster old spot weaners is pushing against the electric fence so must go and check it look forward writing my spring article soon.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:52:59 pm by Dan »

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: James Matthews, 21 Years Old, My Story!!! Please Comment
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »
 :-\

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:25:23 pm »
Well done you, and welcome :wave:

Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:53:48 pm »
hi and welcome form moray  :wave:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 06:11:36 pm »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:52 pm »
Welcome from Brittany   :D

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 02:13:02 pm »
Hello James!  Welcome from north Wales.  Enjoyed your article, you should collect a few year's worth and turn them into a book.  :wave:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 07:33:42 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders :wave:
Anne

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 04:51:37 pm »
How lucky are you at 21 y/o! Very well done James!

Looking forward to reading more about your smallholding experience. :farmer:

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 07:51:45 pm »
I am only just getting into smallholding at 50+++++++++++++++++++++++++++=OLD, so at 21 you have fitness and time on your side...welll done..living off the land however frugle it is is so rewarding!!!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 05:14:54 pm »
Hi and welcome from Kent.  :wave:
 Really enjoyed reading your diary, looking forward to the next installment.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 05:46:45 pm »
Do we have a web site name then?  ???

JarmFarm

• Joined Nov 2010
James Matthews, 21 Years Old, My Story!!! Please Comment
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 10:14:22 am »
Thanks for all your comments, more are welcome. Please look out for the next update on the website or on here.
We have open days next year.
Lambing weekend (23rd+24th April)
Open Farm Sunday (12th June, in aid of Help for Heroes)   
Please Vist www.JarmFarm.com for more information

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS