Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Retained afterbirth, poorly ewe  (Read 1367 times)

InadvertentShepherdess

• Joined Sep 2020
Retained afterbirth, poorly ewe
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:24:33 pm »
My oldest ewe Matilda, gave birth to an absolute whopper of a single ram lamb yesterday. When she hadn’t passed the afterbirth after three hours I called the vet out. She examined the ewe to check there were no more lambs in there and said the lamb had done a bit of damage, but nothing serious. Otherwise empty. She had an injection to expel the afterbirth, some pain relief and some pen and strep, the last of which we have repeated today.

As far as I can tell she still hasn’t expelled the afterbirth and she’s just not right. She’s lying down all the time and her lamb has to really harass her for food although the lamb seems very sprightly.

She’s eating and chewing the cud, but she’s so dopey and sleeping so much I’m very worried about her. Is there anything else I should be doing or is she just recovering after a bit of a traumatic birth?

All advice gratefully received.

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Retained afterbirth, poorly ewe
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 05:33:14 pm »
Phone call to vet for quick chat

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:08:43 pm »
Yeah give the vet a quick ring if she’s off colour could indicate infection or a tear. I had a ewe hang onto her afterbirth for a full week after lambing this year  :tired:  she was fine in the end but was covered with antibiotics until she cleansed properly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:24:48 pm by twizzel »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:57:35 am »
I have just finished lambing 12 ewes ..... only ever saw 2 afterbirths .....  something I never worry about .... they get eaten or just trampled into straw.

However if ewe is off colour post lambing then pen strep and metacam for 3 days would be my normal treatment.

If no improvement today (after last treatment) then yes ring the vet and discuss what next.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS