Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning my bottle fed pet lambs - When and How?  (Read 1966 times)

Timmy T

• Joined Feb 2021
Weaning my bottle fed pet lambs - When and How?
« on: April 08, 2021, 02:31:32 pm »
Bridget and Joan(s) are now approaching 8 weeks old. They appear healthy, have put on weight continuously, and are very friendly. They’re on 3 x 350ml milk a day, along with a 50/50 creep & coarse mix and hay. They are regularly out in the stable yard and have started to wander into the horse paddock to graze, but they come in to their shelter overnight. Everything seems peachy and they are bonny little things!

So, when and how do we move onto the next phase of weaning? 🤷‍♂️

As always, all top tips gratefully received 😁

TVM, Tim

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Weaning my bottle fed pet lambs - When and How?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:16:02 pm »
Anytime from now is a good time. Cut out the middle feed, then a few days later cut one of the other feeds out, then cut out completely. My lambs are 5-6 weeks and going cold turkey tomorrow, little do they know  :roflanim:  but as long as they are eating creep, they'll drink water when they get thirsty. Try not to change anything else whilst weaning or it can upset them. By the end of weaning they should be on ad lib creep taking a fair amount per day, eating hay and drinking water.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 06:00:14 pm »
Nothing to add to twizzel's advice, just wanted to say Well done, all sounds great.   :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 06:26:58 pm »
Check how much milk powder you have - you don't want to have to go and buy another bag, so reduce according to that. Also no point leaving any powder till next year, it will be off by then. So if you still have lots, take it slower.

Timmy T

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 08:51:22 pm »
Starting this weekend, wish me luck! I’m a sucker fora bleating lamb!!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 08:58:11 pm »
 :roflanim:  Ignore them! Easier said than done. I tend to move mine to a new pen without the milk feeder, bucket of hay, water and creep and go out for the day  :roflanim: to be fair mine went cold turkey this year after ad lib milk, they were a bit shouty for a day and then settled very quickly. Just make sure they are drinking water, eating creep and they’ll be fine.

Timmy T

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 05:24:56 pm »
Finally! Success!!

Had half a bag of milk powder left, so went down to 1 bottle at night, then a half, and now nothing 😎😁 They still bleat like crazy when we go to the stable yard, but all they get is creep and mix.

So my next question is how long do we keep them on creep? They’re not for the freezer and would like them to be just on grass at some point for the summer, but not sure when to transition?

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 09:35:34 am »
I am in a similar boat, 5-6 week old lambs, i have seen them nibbling at the creep have hay and water,

i am near the bottom of the milk bag so on one feed a day now on the morning until that goes then cold turkey!

i will keep them penned to stop the adults nicking the creep feed, i will probably empty the bag of creep and see how they are going before they go into the pen with the older ones

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 09:53:40 am »
just bear in mind that the rumen is not fully developed until 8 weeks, so if weaning younger than this, they will not be making maximal use of any forage or hard feed.  Personally I would not wean younger than 7 or 8 weeks if they are only "nibbling" at creep. 

Milk powder keeps well if properly sealed and stored, so if it were me I would get another bag and not risk all my hard work and expense getting this far.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS