Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rams with ewes  (Read 1575 times)

Alpy

• Joined Apr 2021
Rams with ewes
« on: April 08, 2021, 09:24:59 am »
I have two rams who have always been together and I'd like to put them in a field with the ewes (and some ewe lambs aged 2 months). Will they be ok with the flock (10 girls)? I thought I'd let them breed and then castrate them so they can join full time as I don't want my flock to grow further. These are horned sheep.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Rams with ewes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 06:00:49 pm »
Probably , so long as you have no females not rearing lambs as they could be mated at any time

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Rams with ewes
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 01:22:51 am »
Should be fine, when I had just a few sheep and less room i kept them together year round. I do natural weaning with my ewe lambs (the keepers just stay in the breeding flock) but these days I do take the rams out just to have a shorter lambing season. Never had any issues though, and the rams also fought less when they were all in together all the time. If i could tell them not to mate until autumn i wouldnt take them out, they won't listen to me though  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS