Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and fences  (Read 2917 times)

Gornoeth

• Joined May 2019
Goats and fences
« on: April 04, 2021, 08:39:57 pm »
Hi all - we have 2 goats that are just about a year old. One is a pure golden guernsey and the other a golden guernsey cross.

Our pure goat has decided that the grass is definitely greener on the other side of the fence and puts her head through the stock fencing and then gets stuck due to her horns. The other goat then takes this opportunity to give her a good bashing until we hear the noise and come running.

Clearly don't want this to happen at a time when we're not there and then have a seriously injured goat. Any suggestions? Is this a sign they need better grazing and that's why she's putting her head through? Any way to deal with the aggression other than removing her in one way or the other?

They have access to hay at all times (although clearly not as green as it once was) and we feed an Allen and Page goat mix each morning.

Gornoeth

• Joined May 2019
Re: Goats and fences
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 08:47:28 am »
A crown of shame, I like it! Will have to give that a try, already remove her once this morning.

The aggression seems ok apart from this issue, the dominant one will push her away from food so we just ensure we separate them with a closed gate when giving muesli so she gets what she needs. Otherwise they seem fine together.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:53:43 pm »
Oh my God! Don't even start me on the subject of goats and fences!
My goats live in an enclosure, which is around 15x15 metres, and they constantly think on a new way to get out. All they do is try to make a new whole in the fence - they even jumped 5 ft fence!
My next idea is heras fence panels - the panels used in the construction sites.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 01:15:55 pm »
To be fair it's only 1 of the 3 that's naughty. She's the one who always tries to escape - when she does the others cry after her and in the past escaped too.
I had to catch them in the allotment next door. Luckily in winter there's not much growing and not many people who would otherwise complain...

They are pregnant at the moment. Hopefully they will lbe less jumpy with kids on foot.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Gornoeth

• Joined May 2019
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 02:35:38 pm »
To be fair the standard stock fencing with a line of barb on the top has done the job. The first few days we had them they found all the weak spots where posts moved or ground was a bit higher so could jump over. Once those were dealt with they've stayed in.
We decided at the weekend to bring them into the barn for a week or 2 to give the ground a rest and hopefully enough longer grass start to grow that she's less interested in over the fence. Got them in separate pens that are next to each other so no bullying. Also giving them some extra greens having raided the co-op reduced veg section.

Will see where that gets us.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 02:44:34 pm »
My one even went underneath the fence! Make sure it is not too much gap underneath :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS