Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewes not cycling.  (Read 1102 times)

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
ewes not cycling.
« on: April 03, 2021, 04:21:02 pm »
on the 22nd of NOV I posted about 5 ryeland ewes not cycling - i wont re-hash the whole post, its there to read if you wish. I said if i found the reason id let you know. Well in the last 10 days, all 5 have lambed 3 twins 2 singles which coincided with removing the harness from the ram. In over 50 years, never seen that before - a ram that refused to serve because of a harness. Could be of course that the ewes didnt begin cycling until after id removed the harness, but that late in the year, i very very much doubt it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: ewes not cycling.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 06:09:30 pm »
Really good to know, thanks for posting.  And congrats on the 5 successful lambings!  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 07:04:36 am »
I was told years ago when westarted with sheep to use paste rather than a harness (which I had already bought) beacsue some tups didn't like them. Can't remember who told me but they were right  :thumbsup:

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 09:57:59 am »
well ive been using a harness for over 50 years now and this is the first time ive ever had a problem. the problem with  paste is that when the rams first go in they try and mount everything and youve got several ewes marked though they have not been served .This does not happen with a harness as the crayon only leaves a proper mark when the ewe is served properly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS