Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe not right post lambing  (Read 1595 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Ewe not right post lambing
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:06:38 pm »
Hi folks,

Just a quick one for ideas really as one of our ewes is definitely not right post lambing. Usually very bright and a complete ganite!

She lambed late Monday night, needed slight assistance with one lamb as a leg was back. Passed placenta fine, two cracking tup lambs and both are still regularly and well fed. Gave her 5ml Alamycin as a precaution for intervening (ewe approx 75-80kg) on the Tuesday. She ate both hay, her food and straw bed well!

On the Wednesday she didn't seem quite right, only ate half her ewe nuts and seemed a bit dull - both lambs fine and well fed. I did hear her cough a bit but she had a/b the day before.

She has continued to not really eat much and last night seemed a bit weak, gave her twin lamb drench and 8ml (higher recommended dose of alamycin), later last night she had perked up a bit and was eating a bit of hay. She now wont eat ewe nuts, sugar beet pellets or her ewe and lamb block lick at all. Has been out for the day today and grazed a bit and her lambs are still full bellied and well fed.

Any ideas? Both lambs feed well from both sides of the udder, she feeds them contently, a lot of the time and no signs of pain when she does.

I'll be ringing the vet in the morning as she again won't eat her food this evening and by the amount these tup lambs are feeding I'm slightly concerned about her and the lambs going down bank as she'd usually eat anything!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Ewe not right post lambing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 07:35:37 am »
Is she chewing her cud? If not there’s the danger her rumen will stop working, and that’ll make her stop eating completely.

It could be she’s sore from lambing... Anything that needs antibiotic here also gets anti-inflammatory.

I’d ring the vet, it could be anything, but an off feed drench and anti inflammatory would be my 2 first ports of call.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 10:17:20 am »
One thing to check - any discharge or smell from her back end that might indicate an infection?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 08:44:12 pm »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 07:24:47 am »
what is her temperature?   any infection would give higher temperature.

Also I always give pen strep post lambing .... and alamycin for feet issues ..... not sure the differnece
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 08:00:12 am »
what is her temperature?   any infection would give higher temperature.

Also I always give pen strep post lambing .... and alamycin for feet issues ..... not sure the differnece

Pen strep better for soft tissue infections, as is any white antibiotic. Agree I always give pen strep or betamox la to any ewe I’ve messed with.

Alamycin better for feet and pneumonia.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS