Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Safe woodstain/waterproofing to use on field shelter (sheep)  (Read 9303 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Safe woodstain/waterproofing to use on field shelter (sheep)
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:17:54 pm »
Hi - can anyone advise on a suitable safe product to paint a field shelter used by sheep ?  standard dark brown colour type of thing

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
Re: Safe woodstain/waterproofing to use on field shelter (sheep)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:35:03 pm »
wats wrong with oood old creostot  cant spell it but u get the idea  its a blacl liquid that smells i dont think u can get it small quanties of it the mins about 15 liters i think u can get it from agricultural supplyers

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:35:25 pm »
we use bartoline creosote substitute for all our livestock buildings, this has replaced the original creosote which you cannot now use. make sure its thoroughly dry, ive had no problems with it get the dark brown it looks nicer on wood, also excellent at killing red mite in poultry shed.         neil

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:23:56 pm »
hi how come u cant use creosote then we still do u can still buy round by us i know of farms that are still using it from 45 gallon drums they brought 40 years ago thats ones like tar ive used it but they have some new stuff which is realy thin iam sur u can still use it other wise y would they sell it  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:25:21 pm »
No, I think it's against the law to use it.  In the UK anyway So I was told.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:55:26 am »
creosote was removed from sale to the public,in one gallon cans, a number of years ago .It remained available to contractors , farmers etc in 45 gallon drums.    The reason it was removed from general public sale is , it is said to be carcinogenic ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

If you do get hold of some just take care , and make sure that it is very dry before you let any animals come into contact with treated wood .

Russ

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:32:24 am »
creosote was banned for public use on 30 june 2003, as rusty said due to carcinogenic properties. an EU study found some evidence of skin cancer in animals. It was then withdrawn there are other products such as the one we use which is nearly identical has some of the products removed.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 09:13:50 pm »
thanks for the replies folks ..

I knew about Creosote being banned but wasn't aware there was a similar substitute.  Only problem at the moment would be getting a long enough spell of dry weather for it to dry fully ?

I do have some shed paint left over from summer (Cuprinol I think) in a fetching shade of dark green !  however I doubt if it will say 'safe for sheep' (!) - does anyone know if this is likely to be ok ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:06 pm »
Cuprinol is a brand with lots of different products - some are safe for animals, some not. If you google Cuprinol and select the product you have it will tell you if it is animal safe or not. I use Cuprinol Timbercare which is OK.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS