Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Twin lambs feeding from one side. Other udder huge  (Read 1134 times)

quintasheepies

• Joined Apr 2021
Twin lambs feeding from one side. Other udder huge
« on: April 10, 2021, 08:24:02 pm »
Hello,
It’s my first post on here!

I am on a quinta in central Portugal.
Our ewe has successfully given birth to twins, around 20 hours ago. They have bonded well and she is attentive.

Our concern is they are both feeding from the same teat, and the unused one is hug and swollen.

One lamb seems slightly stronger than the other; more veracious and a stronger feeder.

We have milked the massive udder and tried bottle feed both lambs, although both seem uninterested.

In an attempt to encourage use of the huge swollen udder we wiped some milk from the used/working udder on in, but still nothing. The lambs just don’t seem to recognise it’s where milk come from!
We have also put the lamb to the test and squirted milk into its mouth, but they still don’t feed, and favour the other smaller/used teat.

What is the best thing to do?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Twin lambs feeding from one side. Other udder huge
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:52:37 pm »
The "cow teat" will reduce to normal size if the milk is taken, but you will probably have to milk some milk off by hand a few times a day for a day or two, until the teat is less engorged, and then each time when you've made the teat smaller, get one of the lambs onto that teat if you can.  The sooner they start using both teats, the sooner the big one will stop getting so engorged.

By the sound of it, they are both managing to get plenty from the other teat at the moment, so are not hungry enough to take a bottle or to take the large teat.  You could pen them together but so that the lambs can't get to the udder, for a few hours until the lambs are hungry, and then milk some off the big teat so that it isn't to engorged and then get one lamb onto that teat to have a good drink before you let the other lamb onto the normal teat. 

I had a favourite Shetland ewe used to do this. I'd usually get one of the lambs to be using the "cow teat" without my help by Day 3 at the latest.  She was very tame so I could just do this in the field, didn't need to pen them.

Don't keep any offspring for breeding, this is hereditary.  And if you don't want to do this every year, mark the ewe and cull her this backend.

Oh - and now is a good time to milk off some colostrum and pop it in the freezer, in case you need some later ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS