Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet lamb a bit off  (Read 1634 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Pet lamb a bit off
« on: March 29, 2021, 12:47:24 pm »
We picked up a pet lamb last night she is 5 days old her mums milk stopped,  shes only half heartedly sucking the bottle and looks a bit lethargic,  we keep giving her a bottle every 2 hours n she's maybe taking 150ml , is they anything I can do to pep her up a bit ?

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Re: Pet lamb a bit off
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 12:48:10 pm »
Sods law its a ewe lamb n my daughter has fallen in love with it ha

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 12:57:24 pm »

It's great that you have got her taking a bottle, well done.

If she's taking 150ml every 2 hours you may actually be giving her more than she needs.  Personally I would not feed her more frequently than every 4 hours, now that she is taking the bottle. 

She will be missing her mum and she will really appreciate cuddles and snuggles, and being talked to, and I would give her some fuss each time I visit, and not offer a bottle straight away.  As you snuggle her, she will start to quest for a teat, so then if it's a feed time, you can offer a bottle.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 01:40:02 pm »
Have you got a thermometer? If so take her temperature

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 05:58:26 pm »
Just done the tea time feed n suck is stronger and shes looking a bit happier not much tho shes still a tad dehydrated skin stays up when pinched,  I will find a thermometer and let you know the temp shes a big lamb just a bit steady n down

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 07:18:40 pm »
It could be the stress of leaving mum has caused a slight pneumonia, young lambs are really vulnerable. Take her temp and if it’s high give the vet a shout. Good luck

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 08:25:29 pm »
39.3 she is
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:34:43 pm by vfr400boy »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 10:13:43 pm »
Do you have fresh water available for to drink too?   Should do anyway, but especially if she"s dehydrated.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 10:40:56 pm »
Yes I have 5ltr bucket of water for them,  I have just done the 10 30 feed n she's much better had a lot better suck and even got up to come see me

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 10:47:55 pm »
Great stuff :thumbsup:

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 09:37:16 am »
Quick update lamb is doing grate now

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS