Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red might  (Read 1238 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Red might
« on: March 27, 2021, 02:20:28 pm »
Red might n lambs ,
So I have been and set up a pen in the stables to move my lambs into
  And the owner has got a dozen or so bantams and upon moving some perches they seems to be alot of red mights , will they affect the lambs? I have some ivermectan and will offer to treat her birds

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Red might
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 02:46:41 pm »
Seems that they can infect humans / birds /mammals

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 02:50:19 pm »
Hmmm am not sure what to do now they are to big for shed at home ,

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 03:02:19 pm »
Would treating sheep for scab work to kill any mites that get on them ???   treat perches and areas plus bantams to reduce numbers ???

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 03:04:05 pm »
Going to ivermectan her birds and I have some Damascus earth somewhere to I will try knock numbers down a bit in a few weeks they can be out side

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 03:19:34 pm »
As I understand it, red mite is a parasite of birds and does not infect humans or other mammals - it is host specific.  Mites will run onto a human and are a little itchy, but they cannot feed and survive.  I assume it is the same for sheep. Sheep scab mite is a different sort, not carried by hens.

When hens have a red mite infestation, the mites themselves will be found in the house, not usually travelling around on the bird in the daytime.  This means that it is the housing which needs to be cleaned - creosote or a flame gun do a good job of getting rid of the mites.

Ivermectin is not licenced for use on poultry except under the control of a vet, and the dose is just a very few drops depending on the size of the bird, so for you to treat someone else's hens with the chemical could all go horribly wrong.

We treat our birds with Diatomaceous Earth (is that what you mean by 'Damascus' earth?) It can work well with a few applications, as long as the source in the houses and perches is sorted first.

I take it the bantams live loose in the stables?  Don't use a flame gun then unless you can take the perches outside
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 03:25:38 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 05:20:18 pm »
The birds was in the stable yes but are now housed in the one next door i have just creosoted the edges and ends of perches etc

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 08:27:58 pm »
From the articles i looked at 3 people in Iran and some  poultry workers have had rashes and skin reactions to red mite  plus cats /dogs/rats /horses and of course other bird life , so maybe infection was the wrong word , my thought was that ivermectin can kill red mite on the hen then maybe a treatment of cydectin for scab on the lambs would maybe kill any mites that tried to feed . Just a guess ??

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 09:47:55 pm »
Interesting!  I suppose it could be a sort of contact allergy to their temporary presence, which could develop in poultry workers with frequent exposure.  But mites on other species would drop off in the day without a feed.  It would be unlike when they hide in crevices waiting for their next meal from perching, sleeping poultry, when they are not at body temperature. Mites must be extremely sensitive to detecting body heat in order to survive.
For me, I would ask our vets, as they are very helpful, rather than try something potentially dangerous 'just in case'. I do see your logic though shep53.
Between the creosote and the Diatomaceous Earth, the poultry problem should be dealt with, so the lambs will be OK.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 09:21:18 am »
Agree with FW. Creosote and DE should sort the red mite problem out. There is an egg and meat withdrawal period with ivermectin (possibly a month) and it should only be used if prescribed by a vet.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 09:49:27 am »
Keep in mind that with creosote you need all animals to move out of the stables not only whilst you paint it on but until the smell has left the building post application.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS